Tree moving...advice plz

butler

Dug out a silver birch tree (with landrover) 7ish meters, got it back to the yard and planted it in a large bulk bag...(slightly bigger than a one tonne bag) rachet straps and four stakes to secure it. I also ground up several mycorspykes mixed tham with water and threw all over the roots b 4 i planted it. Have i done the right thing...any more advice on keeping this thing alive, and any veiw on how much its worth? Thanks

You've dug it at the right time of year. Make sure it's watered regularly. The soil it's in must be kept moist, as its ability to cope with even minor drought will be non existent.

You are likely to get some die back -- probably from the top -- but it should come again, though of course it might not then be quite as pretty.

I've observed with my trees that silver birches seem to be more temperamental than many other trees.

Interestingly, I think you'll find that if you transplant a 7 metre tree and a 1 metre tree at the same time, after ten years you'll probably find that they're both the same size! Transplanting can really knock them back hard at that size depending on how well it's done, while when they're small they don't even seem to notice.

As far as its value ('cos clearly you want to sell it), I'd say about £250, but I think you'd have to sell it with some kind of guarantee because it's highly likely to die in the process of transplanting. Best of luck with it.

Best wishes,

John Russell

Hi are you a ***** ? All arboriculturalists know that the tree will not survive. The tree has been grown with no preparation for lifting or transplanting. Normal preparation for this type of semi mature tree moving takes a few years, producing a fine fibrous root system. You cant just take a tree, chuck a few packets of muck and magic on it an expect it to survive.

Any idea of what % of fibrous roots you kept intact ?

Never heard of anyone using a landrover to dig out a tree, we normally use a spade where I live.

100% agreement with gareth.

ideally the larger roots should of been cut back to about 2 foot from the root collar to encourage fibrous roots.

keep the tree upright and solid so it cannot move as this stops the roots trying to fight for survival and get established.

plant in its final position NOW, or leave it in the ton bag till its leaves fall of in the autumn, then move it.

it may bud then look like its dying. (no leaves)

if this happens, leave it alone till winter (apart from keeping it watered)

they can come back from lower down sometimes.

its just a case of cutting back the dead wood then.