Have you ever been there when a tree has failed naturally ?

Arbgirl

How many people have ever seen a tree fall over (through natural failure) while they have actually been there?

I came upon a major beech limb failure today on the footpath (limb was about 30% of the tree) it snapped at a weak union - possibly not helped by the snow earlier this year, and also probably due to new wind forces being exerted on it due to removal of conifers surrounding it.

It must have happened in the last couple of days and it made me wonder - with all the surveying and recommendations to fell/prune/reduce etc we do to make trees safe - how many people have ever actually seen a tree fall through natural failure?:confused1:

SDC10505.jpg.805a6072e23b1a6d621840826a5fa4a8.jpg

SDC10509.jpg.196244be3c0c7d6008c58e3d1f06d001.jpg

SDC10504.jpg.b616d9cbef037dea170b971498aaacef.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the storms we had 4 years ago I climbed a tree that was rocking on it's root plate and got the top out pdq. Does that count? Seen big sections come out of trees and my previous company dealt with a large poplar that was very slowly tipping over onto a house. Using a crane as an anchor it was dismantled and sat back up again.

Ive been present during five non wind induce failures, all limbs. one a sycamore that lost all its side branches one morning with snow on the side of the road! last winter/ During the autumn i had a cherry (twin stem) fail 2 minutes after walking under it on a foray. and been in the close vicinity of at least three limbs dropping within whip woods.

I was up at ashridge a few weeks back in high winds and was waiting for a rubbing co dom stem to fail, god awfull screeching coming out of her but she refused to drop for my eyes.

Ive never really been bothered or afraid in any of those situations, more interested in the witness of the event than fear of being hurt!

as for the last hurricane, well i was out at a golf course trying to drop trees that where going down, but in a more controlled manner, we saw a scotts pine snap its top out and fly 20 30 yards straight onto a rolls royce!

i get kicks out of sussing what's going down and when, best prediction so far was about a week overdue before she finally succumbed.

I have loads of beeches to watch as they age in two woods i patrol regular and love checking them out to see how the decay or faults are progressing.

and even today we had to go see a failure, i know its morbid sort of, but I dont half get my kicks out of studying this side of trees.

this will be a fascinating thread for me, bravo.:thumbup1:

If you want to see trees that are going to fall over

We have a whole park full down here in Devon

Fungus heaven! Hollow old veterans and huge trees and loads and loads of different fungi

I love the fact the owner has decided to leave them to their own devices, despite all the dog walkers!

Looked at a very large leaning ash tree once with the intention of removing it the following day. I didnt like the look of the tree and decided it best to do on a still day. Turned out to be a very good decision as the next day in high winds it fell over!

Looked at a very large leaning ash tree once with the intention of removing it the following day. I didnt like the look of the tree and decided it best to do on a still day. Turned out to be a very good decision as the next day in high winds it fell over!

I have a plan for such occurences, un clip and walk down the trunk as she goes, always fancied it but aint happend yet!:biggrin:

If you want to see trees that are going to fall over

We have a whole park full down here in Devon

Fungus heaven! Hollow old veterans and huge trees and loads and loads of different fungi

I love the fact the owner has decided to leave them to their own devices, despite all the dog walkers!

Sounds like a devon visit is in order come the autumn!:thumbup1:

Yeah. Whilst living in Costa Rica I was nearly hit by a falling tree. I was walking up in to the jungle to fix the water pipe which was an almost daily job. My girlfriend at the time was with me and said "Is that tree falling over?"

It was and falling right at us. We both ran diferent ways and it came straight down the track exactly where we were standing.

Also seen a large piece of Maccy come down in the wind but it wasn't nearly as exciting.

Let me know if your coming down this way Tony. I know a few places up your street.