Auricularia mesenterica A.K.A the tripe fungus

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think of the disruptions to woundwood in this image?

Looks dramatic, but from the photo alone I can not determine whether it is caused by Auricularia, or f.i. by a parasitic Armillaria, because I have seen quite a few comparable disruptions of woundwood caused by as cambium killers operating rhizomorphs of A. ostoyae.

From today, CLASSIC language.

I was reminded today of just how much confidence i have on this, so far its anecdotal i know, but soon it wont be. its going to cost me an arm and a leg to prove this but it will be worth it.

CLIMBERS beware of this one:thumbdown: it can do nasty things to stem mechanics so avoind extreme pulls and heavy rigging.59765ac42269f_newauricularia021.jpg.264bb259ec4559daef39fd2893a353c1.jpg

59765ac427242_newauricularia024.jpg.ebb171f2851cab55e2e80113970b562b.jpg

59765ac42aa17_newauricularia036.jpg.61cf25182fdfcada4ab00d99f24bf4e2.jpg

59765ac42ef10_newauricularia040.jpg.ecde4df0c2706a1fd1a773fd75aebf5c.jpg

59765ac43356a_newauricularia042.jpg.2030267d0faad5bdd2eeb4864e687a71.jpg

59765ac439fed_newauricularia043.jpg.748a0c4e6519a41610b34079a44ff0d8.jpg

59765ac43e9e7_newauricularia046.jpg.3a427581dea793c78063ca2abd899c1c.jpg

59765ac4431b4_newauricularia048.jpg.431559688603ea7a4462cff196fa0d33.jpg

59765ac447156_newauricularia054.jpg.08bf90839f7f60a8b5c2215f6dd23fe3.jpg

59765ac44acaf_newauricularia059.jpg.8be085c7ef1f60bf22de21c014d105a7.jpg

From today, CLASSIC language.

I was reminded today of just how much confidence i have on this, so far its anecdotal i know, but soon it wont be. its going to cost me an arm and a leg to prove this but it will be worth it.

CLIMBERS beware of this one:thumbdown: it can do nasty things to stem mechanics so avoind extreme pulls and heavy rigging.

Tony,

Looks frightening :scared1: !!! Would you say, that the purplish zone to the right in the before last two photo's is representing or representative for the wood being coloured by the mycelium of Auricularia ?

Edited by Fungus

Tony,

Looks frightening :scared1: !!! Would you say, that the purplish zone to the right in the before last two photo's is representing or representative for the wood being coloured by the mycelium of Auricularia ?

interesting question, not being that far down the mycology route I would only be guessing, but it would certainly appear to be the case? it is where "breaches" have occurred, one thing that really characterises it for me is the pattern as well as that colouration, and the intensity of the degradation, the wood is often so white rotted and so completley one can excavate it with bare hands to the intact cambium leaving an internaly scollop edged cavity.

I have manged to get some active mycelium up to Lynne body, but havent spoken to her for a while about it, it seems to generate mycelium happily if soaked and given a surface to contact.

would you think it easy to grow some in a petry dish of agar?

1. I have manged to get some active mycelium up to Lynne body, but havent spoken to her for a while ...

2. would you think it easy to grow some in a petry dish of agar?

1. Who's Lynne body ?

2. I think in this case, any cellulose rich medium or substrate will do, even a pile of wet newspapers or cardboard.

Prof Lynne Boddy - PhD, DSc British mycological society president!

Could you recommend a book or books that would help me understand techniques for taking this research to the next level? I want to establish every aspect of this fungi's habits and abilities to produce a paper on this much neglected fungi

Could you recommend a book or books that would help me understand techniques for taking this research to the next level? I want to establish every aspect of this fungi's habits and abilities to produce a paper on this much neglected fungi

Tony,

No, not one or a couple of books, but a small library with books, articles and papers on the many subjects concerned and involved and/or some own field research to document and complete or correct it.

As a reflection of my own research and long term developed expertise on the subject, I am in the prelimenary stages of writing an illustrated book (or dvd) on the (dynamics of) tree species specific ecosystems of indigenous tree species depending on ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, such as Quercus robur, Fagus, Betula, Populus, Salix, Alnus, Tilia, Carpinus, Corylus and Pinus sylvestris and the role the tree species specific symbionts and saprotrophic and parasitic macrofungi play in these ecosystems and their soil food webs.

So until I have found a publisher for it (Dutch, German and/or English), you'll have to "pick my brain" :001_rolleyes: for this kind of information.

Tony,

No, not one or a couple of books, but a small library with books, articles and papers on the many subjects concerned and involved and/or some own field research to document and complete or correct it.

As a reflection of my own research and long term developed expertise on the subject, I am in the prelimenary stages of writing an illustrated book (or dvd) on the (dynamics of) tree species specific ecosystems of indigenous tree species depending on ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, such as Quercus robur, Fagus, Betula, Populus, Salix, Alnus, Tilia, Carpinus, Corylus and Pinus sylvestris and the role the tree species specific symbionts and saprotrophic and parasitic macrofungi play in these ecosystems and their soil food webs.

So until I have found a publisher for it (Dutch, German and/or English), you'll have to "pick my brain" :001_rolleyes: for this kind of information.

And pick your brain I will, you'll find me a very quick learner too! I know all too well how hard it is to find information on this stuff! ive got a wish list of books stored on amazon right now, and working my way down the extensive and VERY expensive list!