Anyone here understand towing law and max weights?

RichardT

you can go to any ifor dealer if its an ifor trailer and they will get you a new plate with the MAM you want on it ! i know two people with tipper trailer behind large vans (builder) both have done this !

its illegal to exceed the towing capacity so thus derate the trailer !

also tyre tred depth and lighting and markers are to be legal also the numberplate has to be for the vehicle towing and the correct type of plate not a lump o card with a penscrie number on it lol oh and a secondary coupling

how far from home you going over 56km oneway your into tacho teritory !

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be interesting to know that the above was my understanding, that it is based on the 'potential' of the trailer to carry say 3.5t when the towing vehicle can only tow say 2.7...

However, according to my copy of towing roadcraft published by the stationary office in association with the police foundation, you can tow a trailer plated at 3.5tonnes so long as the weight of the trailer and its contents does not exceed the 2.7 tonnes

If i can track down the book (just moved house) I'll happily scan the page in question

go figure

but this senario leaves you open to the Vosa officer on the day ! which is never a good thing !

This from DFT infosheet, July 2010

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roads/vehicles/vssafety/info_trailers.pdf

"The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by an M1 or a light goods

vehicle depends on

(a) the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and/or

(b) the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended maximum permissible trailer weight.

Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight nor the maximum gross train weight (the

laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be

exceeded. "

Nothing there on the trailer MAM. Which suggests that actual rather than potential trailer gross weight is the clincher?

My headache's getting worse.

I'm assuming that picking up an old tractor I've bought for tinkering purposes (a toy, to be frank) does not put me into tacho / op license territory, if that can'o'worms gets opened I'll give up and hire a haulier.

If the trailer MAM is what counts I'd estimate that 80%+ of all farmers trailing livestock to abattoirs/marts are illegal. Or indeed on the way back, with empty trailers.

Best mate and his father run a soil sterilising firm travel between suffolk and anywhere there needed using toyota Landcrusier VX's and a 130 and ifor trailers ! he got pulled by VOSA and result is three £800 tachos and a prohibitoin notice untill they were fitted he had 2 hour chat with Vosa man and old bill bloke ! usefull there fore this is what information i use as wellas working closly with trainers who train trailer use etc !

there is alot of people out there using nad towing trailers illegaly it just doesent seam that the police or vosa are interested or want to know !

afia there are no pickups in this country rated to tow 3.5 tonnes ?? pease inform me if there are last time i looked the Navara and Rodeo were 3.3 Tonnes the only 4x4s that can tow 3.5 tonnes are the Big Landcruisers and the defenders discoverys and range rovers ! again any others it would be good to know !