BATS :Still in the dark ?

bats-n-trees

It was ran by the LA we work for mate I've done them before but it's a helpful kick up the ****/reminder to keep your eyes open :) @Ian aye mate the old shrug of the shoulders and "I didn't know" thing isn't enough is it. I'd hate our hard work to be tarnished because of just checking for wildlife. They told us a few stories of people finding bats and carrying on with work regardless if a business is riding on one job something is wrong surely?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was ran by the LA we work for mate I've done them before but it's a helpful kick up the ****/reminder to keep your eyes open :) @Ian aye mate the old shrug of the shoulders and "I didn't know" thing isn't enough is it. I'd hate our hard work to be tarnished because of just checking for wildlife. They told us a few stories of people finding bats and carrying on with work regardless if a business is riding on one job something is wrong surely?

I'll never forget the comment one of the young lads said to the instructor; 'So if we find a bat and no-one sees and we throw it through the chipper does this mean we just carry on as normal'. I wanted the ground to open up and his jumper not to say that we worked at the same company. Although the instructor was a little bit caught off guard and quickly moved onto Guano being a key factor in smelling for bats.

One of our members has a current issue regarding potential fines after complying with the regs, i hoped he would not be shy and post in one of these threads after my recomendation for more qualified advice.

I wont mention his name but if your reading this come on dont be shy, it isnt your fault you did what your supposed to do and we might be able to sort this mess out.

All postings that bring out opinions/actions/experiences/tall tales/heresay should be welcomed.It gives us all a better understanding of the situation .It will be a very sad day when the prosecution service start browsing Arbtalk for possible malpractice.

Currently the maximum fine is £5000 per bat and or a 6 mths prison sentence as I understand it.

I would like to build up a file of actual cases where ordinary Arbs have been prosecuted for bat related matters.All info gratefully received.

Most EPS (European Protective Species ) prosecutions have been related to development sites where big profits or costs have been a factor.If there is £500,000 profit to be made then a £20,000 fine is not much of a penalty.Hence the introduction of the prison element.Directors don't like the thought of 6 months per bat or newt etc.

Talking to Arbs there seems to be a divergence of opinion on how to apply the rules on looking for bats as part of the day -to-day work.It would be interesting to hear a few opinions on this. Thanks in anticipation.

Currently the maximum fine is £5000 per bat and or a 6 mths prison sentence as I understand it.

taking into account that bats don't normally roost alone....Do your maths! :001_huh:

I'd love to know how many people have actually ever reported killing a bat.... :deal:

taking into account that bats don't normally roost alone....Do your maths! :001_huh:

I'd love to know how many people have actually ever reported killing a bat.... :deal:

Hi Odd_bird. Is your avatar a pig-geon ????

Actually male bats regularly roost alone. Can't stand all that noise presumably.(or is that a sexist remark I have to withdraw ?!!) And the fine/sentence is not just for killing bats,destroying a known roost can have similar consequences.

Hi Odd_bird. Is your avatar a pig-geon ????

Actually male bats regularly roost alone. Can't stand all that noise presumably.(or is that a sexist remark I have to withdraw ?!!) And the fine/sentence is not just for killing bats,destroying a known roost can have similar consequences.

Or........... maybe you have just shown that pigs can actually fly !!!!!!!