Ever wondered about sharpening an old circular saw for firewood production.

Frank

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came a cross this small 2 part series about sharpening your circular saw for firewood production.

Might be of interest to some.

Those of you in the know may recognise Andy Reynolds as the star of the videos. (author of "Heating with Wood" and other books):thumbup1:

no P.T.O guard

i know of a farmer who run a generator in a field from a pto shaft with no guard to operate sheep shearing kit a sheep got caught in the shaft and it ripped it to bits in seconds .

no P.T.O guard

i know of a farmer who run a generator in a field from a pto shaft with no guard to operate sheep shearing kit a sheep got caught in the shaft and it ripped it to bits in seconds .

flock-n-hell !!! Sorry I'm feeling sheepish now !!

Love your avatar.Reminds me of when I was a kid on the farm and elm disease struck.We had ninety huge elms felled.They were taken to the local sawmill on a trailer just like that. The tractor unit was ex army four wheel drive and had a very powerful winch and big spades on the back .When these were fully in the ground and a tree got jammed the front end would rear high into the air !! Sometimes if the tree was too heavy for the crane they would roll it up two timbers onto the trailer using the winch rope wrapped round and round the Mid/balance point. We used to call them Latells or something like that.They may have been made by Thorneycroft possibly ?

no P.T.O guard

Love your avatar.Reminds me of when I was a kid on the farm and elm disease struck.We had ninety huge elms felled.They were taken to the local sawmill on a trailer just like that. The tractor unit was ex army four wheel drive and had a very powerful winch and big spades on the back .When these were fully in the ground and a tree got jammed the front end would rear high into the air !! Sometimes if the tree was too heavy for the crane they would roll it up two timbers onto the trailer using the winch rope wrapped round and round the Mid/balance point. We used to call them Latells or something like that.They may have been made by Thorneycroft possibly ?

The ex army four wheel drives could possibly be AEC Matadors or Bedford QL these were used quite a lot for forestry work ,my avatar shows a pole trailer which was operated by a local timber haulier to me it was taken in 1960s and was hauled from huntingdon to finedon northants i collect old timber tractors some are pictured in show your tractors on this website . The other tractor you mention must be a latil these were four wheel drive four wheel steer tractors which originated in france but were later built by shelvoke and drury here in britain . glad you like the avatar , we do timber haulage and loading demonstrations at steam rallies loading with winches and jibs as it was done in the good old days our first show will be at lamport steam and country festival near northampton may 23 24 25 bank holiday w end

The ex army four wheel drives could possibly be AEC Matadors or Bedford QL these were used quite a lot for forestry work ,my avatar shows a pole trailer which was operated by a local timber haulier to me it was taken in 1960s and was hauled from huntingdon to finedon northants i collect old timber tractors some are pictured in show your tractors on this website . The other tractor you mention must be a latil these were four wheel drive four wheel steer tractors which originated in france but were later built by shelvoke and drury here in britain . glad you like the avatar , we do timber haulage and loading demonstrations at steam rallies loading with winches and jibs as it was done in the good old days our first show will be at lamport steam and country festival near northampton may 23 24 25 bank holiday w end

Yep Matadors they were mostly,ex army green.Drivers used to be very nervous if they had a grabbing clutch on the winch drum !!! Cheers for the reply.Where else will you be showing and dates ?