Lichens

BenR

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falklands are an amazing place to visit. Lots of introduced trees and plants in general. I wonder if there are introduced lichens with them.

One of the keys to finding and describing the lichen diversity is to search strange or unusual locations. Since most lichenologists are not goinf to be climbing trees I think there may be the potential to find something interesting in the trees tops.

Falklands are an amazing place to visit. Lots of introduced trees and plants in general. I wonder if there are introduced lichens with them.

One of the keys to finding and describing the lichen diversity is to search strange or unusual locations. Since most lichenologists are not goinf to be climbing trees I think there may be the potential to find something interesting in the trees tops.

Lets hope so. Pretty unlikely I would get the chance/have the time. But I thought it would be useful info for anyone else that may be interested and fancy a climbing holiday! Cheers mrtree.. You seem to know something about everything!:thumbup1:

We're just about to have a Lichen survey carried out by a local school & a scientist from the Nat His Museum.

They're going to monitor NOx levels on trees along a transect on the Heath, to determine air quality within this part of the borough.

Part of the study will be collecting specimens (from 1 -1.5 diameter trunks & twigs) for reference, so that the students can use them for verifying their samples.

I've offered our assistance if they want to included samples from up in the canopy out of their reach.

Could be an interesting project.

Don't imagine it's gonna take too much time Rob, so will be keeping it in house, I'm afraid.

Might even squeeze into the new seqoia meself :blushing::biggrin:

Theres a reason silver backs dont climb trees! take the hint! and remember trees are onlt 4times stronger than they need be for "usual circumstances" you might be considered an "unusual load":laugh1: