Descending on a single rope.

stuartc44

I tie a running bowline around the top of the tree with the rigging rope, then descend on that with a figure8. Ready to pull over when you get down.

This way also means you dont need to leave any stubs to put the your climbing line round.

If I am hand pulling the stick over then I just use my climbing line instead of the rigging rope. Although 9 times out of 10 the rigging line is already out so it gets used.

You can back up the figure8 with an 8 wrap prussic or similar knot to be extra safe but I have never bothered.

EDIT: Forgot to say dont descend off a single line with a VT/prussic/lockjack etc. You have to take you weight off to get it to move and then drop about 10feet before you have chance to realise your mistake and let go of the hitch. I saw someone do it on a double footlock line and very nearly smash their head on a buttress as they flipped over in the harness when the hitch regripped.

The only way to descend off a single line safely without a fig8 (or similar) is to use the footlock position and your feet as the friction device to lower yourself whilst holding the hitch open, which wears out boots really fast.

Awsome way to preach bad pratice mate.

How long does it take to back up ur figure 8 and swap climb line to tag line! these are both easy and obvious things to do, and takes another link out of our dangerous job. which is a plus to everybody in the Industry.

use ur feet descending on single line....... well smart that one!:congrats::congrats:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard somewhere before and on the video linked to on the 'Sirius ringloop?' thread that it is not good to descend with a hitch on a single rope and a second device, figure 8 etc, should be used.

Why is this, and why so different to double rope?

Obviously, you'd have twice the weight on friction hitch on the single rope as you have on the doubled rope. The exact same condition that applies when you are performing a rescue on a doubled rope. Twice the weight on the friction hitch, thus using figure-8 with friction hitch as back-up for descend.

The friction hitch (prussik) also tends to bind more easily with double load. No fun hanging halfway down with a blocked friction hitch and no way to loosen it since you wouldn't have the strength to take the weight off it.

Ben you won't regret it!:001_smile: Takes a while to make the switch but the energy it saves is well worth it!

Tbh although the rope wrench works really well, I don't think I am seeing the full benefit of SRT work positioning yet. Maybe I am still trying to climb the tree like I would DRT too much and not using enough of an up and down, up and down approach. Maybe I just need to spend more time on the rope wrench exclusively instead of switching back and forth all the time..:001_smile: