Is there any reason why I can't use a Whoopie sling as a cambium saver

Arghshh

Please forgive me

I am truly shocked by this thread how condoning practices that would break many many codes of practice and legislation.

from a legal point of view we are NOT allowed to use any non CE kit for life support end of

It has not been designed or intended to be used for this application

legally my shoe lace would be just as suitable and I would certainly not use that before anyone suggestd that would be fine:blushing:

How long is your shoe lace and what is it's SWL it could be an option!:biggrin:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry just read this and seen the fella has been given heaps of help so no need for mine the other big thing is ive seen some stuff ce'd for utter gush i think ive seen cambium savers ce'd for mountain use and all sorts so a ce is sod all unless specific to what it is doing and if there isnt one and people want to bang on about it then write your own then preach all the good stuff yes and no on ce's but i dont know what the ce's mean they could be for door locks but as long as it is ce'd then its deamed fine its such a grey area.

what you on about risking life, have the pioneers of climbing in all areas not made a risk do we not make calculated risk before climbing every day risk is part of it and managing it and working with it but to totally stamp out free thought in favour of produts that dont work for me will never happen if it aint on the market i make it myself untill someone will and they can do it better than me. no one in them factories climbs for living and they dont hang there life in it.

Well said:thumbup::thumbup:

How long is your shoe lace and what is it's SWL it could be an option!:biggrin:

pleas pm your address and will even send you a pair:thumbup:

All in good condition as i change them often to save safety issues:thumbup:

• 7 months later...

Back to the OP....

Have you thought of just using a multi sling choked on the stem? just attach a crab and a pulley to the loose end, or even just the crab.... jobs a goodun

not retrievable but that wasnt your main concern as far as i was aware

if you want to go even cheaper then just choke a normal endless strop on the stem

simples

worse than a bunch of girlies arguing about whos shoes are the nicest you lot sheesh:001_rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

if you want to go even cheaper then just choke a normal endless strop on the stem

That's all I ever do. I wonder how much time is wasted in the industry by people setting up over-elaborate climbing systems?

Can they really make that much of a difference? It's not the bloody olympics, shaving a few seconds off here and there. Spend 5 minutes setting up something that saves you a teeny bit of effort and 2 minutes on the climb.

Save your cash and buy the missus some flowers with a card saying "I'm going to stop being a total tree bore".

• 3 months later...

I'd use a cambium/friction saver - there are a few adjustable ones around and it means you don't end up mixing PPE with rigging kit.

If you do that you really should submit the whoopie for LOLER every 6 months - additionally, the whoopie is likely to have been subjected to extreme loading, something your PPE should NEVER be suffer and, in the event it was, then it should be retired from service until it has been thoroughly inspected by a 'competent person' in accordance with LOLER 1998.

I've always though that mixing PPE & rigging kits is the thin end of the wedge - just a thought.

Andy

Ill tell you why,

Imagine you have an accident at work, HSE turn up and youve used a whoopy sling as a cambium saver, what do you think they'd say??? :confused1:

Also your insurance would be void :blushing:

Just put your hand in your pocket and buy the correct kit for the job :thumbup1: or dont use a cambium saver until you can afford one :biggrin:

• 7 months later...

Ok so heres another idea, Im looking at three bits of CE approved kit, two rings @25kn and a tape sling 1 metre long @ 24kn. I've girth hitched the rings onto each end. According to the tree climbers companion I will lose at least 25% of strength from a girth hitch which leaves me with a cambium saver with a breaking load of between 10 and 12kn. Would something like this be acceptable?