How prevalent are Bats ?

David Humphries

This old cavity used to house Noctules & Natterers at various times.

But none recorded for the last few years.

The Chicken has been fruiting there for a while.

The next Oak opposite this one has a few wooden bat boxes in, which have hosted more recent habitation by bats.

IMG_4312.JPG.ec81af444d7fee99046815d5af4869ee.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG.4f3181182a729bea4268a2b9e7e85bae.JPG

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was the biggest know conaolary in ni for a while i love watching them, as a kid the bAT peple they would catch some in the a net it was amazing.

i love them last year we they also did some dna analis i can not rember the name of the spices.

Edited by NI Tree

• 2 months later...

Suddenly got into this lark, got me a bat detector (cheap heterodyne model)and went out at dusk last night to see who was about. I know we have a colony in the church, so the churchyard was a good place to start off.Tracked one for about an hour. Just wondering, if there is a resident colony, do they go off and hunt individually, or in a pack? Or would this be prey dependent and a shortage of insects meaning the "pack" would spread out?

Another point, my neighbour was concerned with the dense ivy blocking light to his house on the oak outside. The ivy had smothered 2/3rds of the tree, so I recommended cutting the ivy at the base. This year I have noticed bat activity in the evening has severely declined. I think the bats may have moved their home because of the ivy dying off, which is a shame, yet it shows the need for balance between nature and man.

Another point, my neighbour was concerned with the dense ivy blocking light to his house on the oak outside. The ivy had smothered 2/3rds of the tree, so I recommended cutting the ivy at the base. This year I have noticed bat activity in the evening has severely declined. I think the bats may have moved their home because of the ivy dying off, which is a shame, yet it shows the need for balance between nature and man.

Interesting observation Andy :thumbup1:

& the final part of the last sentence raises the point that Joe public should be given a deeper understanding & awareness of what goes on around them outside their human-centric daily vision.

Education, education, education :001_smile: