How prevalent are Bats ?

David Humphries

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...

Why do you think sightings of bats by arbs working on trees is so rare?

Either the bats aren't there, or they're abandoning ship when you're not looking - understandable if you're operating a chainsaw I guess?

I'm guessing that's directed at 'bats n trees', Giles ?

But from my perspective, i would say that there are probably a very healthy population of woodland based species, but that the urban dwelling populations are significantly reduced from where they were only 30 - 40 years ago, due to the most part because of a huge loss of habitat (old large urban trees), but also ever increasing concentrations of pollutants.

No science, just a hunch :biggrin:

Perhaps we're looking at potential habitats and therefore a tree with bats in doesnt get felled too often, OR the bats arent there, or if they are there, they're asleep and feel like they're falling over. I've knowingly only ever felled one tree with a bat inside, it came out looking a bit dazed and confused, got removed to a place of safety then it flew off a little erraticaly. I've checked numerous trees for "sign" where i thought there may be some, but seen nothing.

It wasn't directed at anyone in particular, educated opinions are all welcome, but now you mention it BnT seems like the kind of person that might know the answer. I was just wondering how common it actually is for bats to roost in trees and why do arbs so rarely come across them, particularly given the current interest in the subject.

Why is it some uncommon for arborist to run into bats?

I imagine that most arborists work in urbanized environements where trees are not so suitable for bats. Tree-using-bats need hollows and flaking bark and these are conditions that are discouraged in urban trees. Since most older and hollow trees are removed we can logically expect a paucity of bats in younger "healthy" trees.

I fish for Barbel on the Ribble near me in Lancashire and the show I get from the daubentons at dusk is amazing. I presume that they roost in the trees nearby because there is nothing else for miles and that they dont fly too far in between feeding and torpur.

Hi Nimby. thanks for the post.Daubentons will use a variety of roosts site. Bridges over your river for instance .They will get into the crevices in the stonework for example.But they do love tree roosts .Vertical splits/lightening damage, holes-they will use them all.And they will roost quite some distance from water.Presumably you see them at dusk skimming a few inches above the surface of the water ? Other bats ( pips/myotis ) will also hunt over water. The daubentons are unique in that they stay the same distance above the water when turning to fly back down the stretch of water.Other species gain altitude ( a bit like planes turning to machine gun whatever is on the ground) before and during the turns at the end of the run. You can see this quite easily with a high powered torch.But please only do it for short bursts as bats have sensitive eyes ! ( Imagine our boys in the bombers being blinded by searchlight beams and you should get the idea).

Haven't fished for a long time but seem to remember long -trotting for barbel. How do you fish for them these days ?

But from my perspective, i would say that there are probably a very healthy population of woodland based species, but that the urban dwelling populations are significantly reduced from where they were only 30 - 40 years ago, due to the most part because of a huge loss of habitat (old large urban trees), but also ever increasing concentrations of pollutants.

No science, just a hunch :biggrin:

Hi monkey. Nice train of thought but.........

The vast majority of bats living successfully in urban environments have man to thank for for their roost sites.Most urban pips will be living under some unsuspecting persons roof.My own son lives in Sutton in Surrey but has never seen a bat in his life.When I go down and sit outside his house at dusk there are loads flying around.

Just as an example I have uploaded a couple of pics taken when I was on a training course for bats in St Fagans in Cardiff. The round house was a building originally used for cockfighting. Today it is part of the museum ( well worth a visit for good trees etc.) but now it is a feeding roost for long eared bats. They catch moths on the wing and then hang up in here to consume them. First job ,bite off the wings... so moth wings on the floor as evidence and knobbly poo- a long eared trait-must be painful !!!

The other shots show soprano pip droppings piling up under an access point for them above. This roost is situated in the corner of the roof structure of the main building which houses offices and the cafeteria etc. If you want to see the evidence then walk to the far end of the building from the cafe,go up the slope and you will recognise the downpipe in my shot.You can see the urine staining on the wall below their entry point.This is home for close to 200 bats at the last count, and believe it or not some of them crawl along inside the soffit for some 30/40 m.We know this because there is a diminishing line of bat droppings on the ground below. Bats have also colonized the recently new 'green building' just some few yards away. Unlike us, bats are not stupid and will quickly utilize whatever structure they perceive to be of use to them. Cheers.:thumbup1:

DSC_4888.jpg.3eabc7aede950661580cbb72be1127c6.jpg

DSC_4884.jpg.afc4b973cb5c19b42edebe1b8404d403.jpg

DSC_4877.jpg.4db28058c09dda0388a8cc745a044d78.jpg