How much experience needed to go freelance?

treemeup

The bigger the tree the more work how can you argue that its wrong.

I think you read me wrong but hey thats life.

Pruning small trees is to me harder than big ones in that you have less to work with and tighter movement.

I do go over 100ft but my point was we dont have that many here no more so its not profitable.

Last note i totally agree about being heigh and taking in the views.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bigger the tree the more work how can you argue that its wrong.

Guess I won’t need to if you’re going to do the arguing for me!

Pruning small trees is to me harder than big ones in that you have less to work with and tighter movement.

Telhol, maybe we should just leave it at that mate, but try to consider that there are guys on here with decades of experience who you never here complaining about tree size etc.

While not yet a veteran, even I have 18 years behind me, the last 14 have been as a full-time freelance climber both here and abroad, so I’m pretty well seasoned by now.

I work just as hard regardless of whether or not the tree is big or small, but at 35 I still expect to get much better at climbing before I start getting worse.

So for you to start lecturing on the absolutes of treework so early in your career seem a little premature don’t you think? If its just you’re opinion then add IMO rather than calling people 'bitches' and quoting 'maths' etc.

Anyway enjoy the rest of your week buddy.

Reg

i havent been climbing very long and height is a facter for me, i do slow down the heighter i get. but i get more nerves about the state of the wood then the height. been doing a far few pops lately, nothing massive, they do worry me sometimes.

4 years or 40 years im sorry is there a new way of doing trees when you get to 40.

Im not here to say i know this an that if you read it that way then you got it wrong.

This is not about the thread either. so we will end that.

How much experianced needed depends on the person i did learn to climb quicker than some others i was lucky enough to climb with my dad and learn then i worked for some of the biggest companies in the area to expand what i had already learned also picking up good bits and viewing what not to do.

4 years or 40 years im sorry is there a new way of doing trees when you get to 40.

Telhol, there are a thousand different ways to tackle a job. That is where experience comes into play i.e. knowing the right method for a particular job. Little jobs, not as significant, however, when you get onto the bigger stuff it’s a totally different kettle of fish. A wrong decision can not only cost you lots of time but much worse.

Watch the video and read Graeme’s comments nearer the end.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=589

Do you really believe that his first 4 years of climbing are what gave him the knowledge and experience to deal with such a high risk tree/situation in the way that he did? Surely not.

e.g My dads been repairing and restoring cars for over 40 years now, all sorts of makes and damages. Do you think that I’d be as skilled, knowledgeable and efficient as him in 4 years time if I start learning tomorrow?

Im not here to say i know this an that

Mate, read your posts again. I do realize there’s no malice in them but just read through them and then look at your previous quote.

How much experienced needed depends on the person i did learn to climb quicker than some others i was lucky enough to climb with my dad and learn then i worked for some of the biggest companies in the area to expand what i had already learned also picking up good bits and viewing what not to do.

Good for you man, its great that you were able to learn from your Dad, he’s probably very proud to see you making a good living. But trust me Telhol, there’s probably a whole lot of stuff going on in this job that you haven’t yet even heard of, let alone learnt. But hopefully you can and will, if you want to get better that is.

Hey, good luck and no hard feelings.

Hey no worries i take no ofence on here.

I just put out a few to see what response i get then i get a feel for what other people think its easy than asking them.

Yeah dude i hope i will learn tonns that is the fun part leaning bnew little tricks to aid my work.

Dont take my comments serious if some one rattles my cage i hve a bad habbit of winding them up sorry. haha.

But your all a good bunch and im glad i found the site its good to talk.

sorry everyone i think my one little common about going cheap, turned the thread a bit sour and telhol got the brunt of it for agreeing with me. glad i've been away for a few days.

i only meant go cheap to get your foot in the door(i have fallen out with a good bloke because of it ), if nobodies seen you climb then you have no reputation to go on. be honest if i was as good or a bit better than the local subby(but nobody knew this), we charged the same rate who would you hire?

i charge the same as everyone else and a bit more(not heaps though, i use the companies saws and ropes). i just need a bit of bread and butter money before i can start making some reasonable demands.

Yes you lot are mean poor me huh.

totally agree with ya monks you have to start cheap.

They only get the hump cos they have to charge more cos it costs them more which is totally fair.

Once us newer companies earn more we can invest more and then we will charge more for the same reason.

Kiss Kiss every one no meani poo,s ha ha