V.T.A symptoms "the chatty trees"

That's a sad sack of avoidance, a killer copout. Academic quals are gained by reading and writing--you need NO letters after your name to do the job justice. Those guys got to be respected leading experts by their fearless sharing of their work, not their schooling. You have been schooled by the best teachers of all--The Trees.

Writing, and a writer, gets respected, and published, by enduring review, which is not as fearful as one may conjure. Anyone can submit. You are young; you still have time. If you start with a paragraph addressing and advancing the most important area that you see, it'll grow. The hardest part for me is toning down the passion for the work long enough to study and communicate the science behind it.

Sad sack! :lol:

Ive been called a lot worse than that, now it just so happens that the last few days have been spent wondering how I will do the job of writing arboriculture, from the top down. I dont want to do some half baked piece of work, I wanna be prepared and put something out there that causes a bleedin revolution/evolution.

I need scopes, decay evaluation tools etc thousands of pounds worth that I can ill afford, If I had the tools, I'm telling you I could be out there kicking some serious arse, im not interested in the money or the glory, there is only one goal, to make all this SIMPLE, because arboriculture IS. BUT, in order to make claims and state natures law requires serious science that cannot be picked apart, and when you get to the point when you can pick apart the science of others you begin to realise how EPIC a task this is.

Sad sack, do you know how careful and well written re writing say modern arboriculture has to be? one mistake and it all falls down, one bit of bad science, one flaw and that is how it will be spoken of, all the good of it will be lost in one sentence. Look at CODIT, or"the demons of D" - thinking that drives me to despair.

This is no light hearted, task anyone who attempts this is going to be taking hardcore flack, there is nothing other than modern arboriculture out there that is so heavy and influential. Modern arboriculture set the tone, the rules the game, and the industry are still discussing it and saying its the starting point. Its 30 years ago!

The everyday man doesnt need the science, he just needs to know how to do his job better, but the science still has to be done, passion and enthusiasm will write a great novel, tell a great story, but it will not set the ground on fire and change the way things are.

Its no good telling it as it is, and having squatt to back up that argument.

I take a lot of flack in this industry from many folk, and thats all good, I learn everytime somebody patronises me and shows me up for the schoolboy I am. Its what I call practice, and its not a problem in informal conversation but once you write it down and print it, well thats it, set in stone, your views and your lifes work done, no changes are possible.

do it once, do it right, and let them worry about the rest!:biggrin:

Guy, I know what your saying, and appreciate the sentiment, but I aint ready, the work has begun for sure, and when I know i have it all and its good enough youll be the first to know!

in fact, somebody is doing some of it for us all right now, and its looking good, but then I never doubted it would turn out to be so!:001_rolleyes:

"contemporary arboriculture and the delights of D":thumbup: sounds epic to me!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No im not paying them, but these guys are the "leading experts" and widely respected, I am no academic.:001_smile:

I would need academic quals to do the job justice, and I will continue to work on that, its the only way forward.

It is a good way forward and rewarding, you learn and get something real that reminds you of where you have come from and where you are at. Studying a curriculum gives a direction and concentrates the efforts.

Highly rewarding and focusing. You don't have to be an academic to learn, you just need to want to learn and be committed.

It is a good way forward and rewarding, you learn and get something real that reminds you of where you have come from and where you are at. Studying a curriculum gives a direction and concentrates the efforts.

Highly rewarding and focusing. You don't have to be an academic to learn, you just need to want to learn and be committed.

It also gives you training to THINK like a scientist, an academic, ive got to get inside THEIR heads if Im going to win my arguments, its got to be their way or the high way.

It has been both an advantage and a disadvantage not being a trained academic.

It also gives you training to THINK like a scientist, an academic, ive got to get inside THEIR heads if Im going to win my arguments, its got to be their way or the high way.

It has been both an advantage and a disadvantage not being a trained academic.

You look at things with your eyes open, objectively, perhaps. Trouble is when you start talking about winning arguements objectivity goes out the window.

If you present what you see and feel thats a start, you don't have to re write the text books all at once.

You look at things with your eyes open, objectively, perhaps. Trouble is when you start talking about winning arguements objectivity goes out the window.

If you present what you see and feel thats a start, you don't have to re write the text books all at once.

You know, this objectivity lark, anyone would think Im some numb nuts who saw one thing once and decided it was fact!

I know what objectivity is, and why we need it, and believe me, I will always, always look to dissprove myself, crikey we all no im unsure of myself!

BUT Ive only spoken about stuff I am certain of through years of study and experience, I will prove it later!:thumbup:

Where most fall down is failing to accept when they are wrong, THATS when objectivity goes out the window, and thats rife!

You know, this objectivity lark, anyone would think Im some numb nuts who saw one thing once and decided it was fact!

I know what objectivity is, and why we need it, and believe me, I will always, always look to dissprove myself, crikey we all no im unsure of myself!

BUT Ive only spoken about stuff I am certain of through years of study and experience, I will prove it later!:thumbup:

Where most fall down is failing to accept when they are wrong, THATS when objectivity goes out the window, and thats rife!

Fair enough, I am continuing my tendency to pass comment on things I don't fully understand:001_huh:

Some habits die hard.:001_rolleyes:

Luckily, I can accept when I'm wrong, if someone can explain it to me:lol:

There's a lot I don't understand; just trying to draw out input. Not comfortable with just waiting for emanations from some expert in an ivory tower or smoke-filled room. Maybe that's a yank thing.

"stuff I am certain of through years of study and experience, I will prove it later!"

Certainty without proof, not sure how far that flies in any culture, unless it's in a church.

Nothing wrong with faith, mind!

There's a lot I don't understand; just trying to draw out input. Not comfortable with just waiting for emanations from some expert in an ivory tower or smoke-filled room. Maybe that's a yank thing.

"stuff I am certain of through years of study and experience, I will prove it later!"

Certainty without proof, not sure how far that flies in any culture, unless it's in a church.

Nothing wrong with faith, mind!

I am going to stick my neck out and say that we are talking about the fact that tree decay fungi are part of the natural life cycle of trees, that in some circumstances they confer added value and majesty to some trees, that their presence deserves deeper understanding and consideration and that their effect on tree physiology, symptom development and adaptive growth may be beyond what is considered to be accepted teaching.