Jobs and experience

Ollie Wall

Having not yet finished college, I was having a gander at a few jobs on arb jobs and similar sites to have a look at jobs in my area, which there are quite a few. but many say you need to have 2/3 years climbing experience. how is it possible to get a job so soon after leaving college???/

sorry if this has been asked before.

Ollie:001_smile:

college means you know what to do in theory, but that doesnt go for much up a tree imo.

If you think you have what it takes, prove yourself. Tell the company owner you will work for nothing for a week and see what he thinks. An experienced climber can tell your ability just by watching you unpack your climbing bag. Do what it takes to get your foot in the door, thats what i did.

persistance over rules talent mate

My old Man used to say (Faint heart never won fair Maiden )

If I was you I would look for a job as a groundy with a firm and work your way up rather than trying to go straight in as a climber and find you've bitten off more than you can chew :thumbup1:

college means you know what to do in theory, but that doesnt go for much up a tree imo.

If you think you have what it takes, prove yourself. Tell the company owner you will work for nothing for a week and see what he thinks. An experienced climber can tell your ability just by watching you unpack your climbing bag. Do what it takes to get your foot in the door, thats what i did.

Totally agree. Nobody in their right mind will turn down a week of free labour....which gives you 5 days to impress. If you are punctual, hard working and have a good work ethic you stand a good chance of winning some more work.

Best of luck!

Ditto the above. Show you are keen to drag branches, feed the chipper, sweeping up, using the blower (not your phone lol). Do all of the crappy mundane jobs to the best of your ability or better. Never complain. Show that you know that working hard and moving a job along as a team doing anything you can see that needs to be done before you are asked can mean the difference between making a profit on a job or breaking even (or worse). Know that your employer has to be competitive with his pricing to win jobs, and that he can do this better if his whole team (including the lowly branch dragger) is firing on all cylinders at all times.

Not many employers are going to let you up a tree with a chainsaw straight out of college right away. Regardless of "qualifications". They want to see your work ethic, and general common sense first. That said, don't go in thinking dragging branches is a means to an end as this can lead to impatience, which in turn can lead to a poor attitude. Dragging branches will be your job, so be the best branch dragger in the company. And be happy doing it. By doing this you will convince your boss you could have potential in other more demanding areas.

It's a hard industry to get a start at and competition can be pretty fierce for jobs. Try phoning for some of those jobs anyway, but be honest about your experience as you will be found out in about 5 mins anyway. If there is no place for you ask that they keep your number if anything comes up. Try them all, then try them again in a couple of months if nothing comes up.

Best of luck with the hunt. Perseverance is the key.

If I was you I would look for a job as a groundy with a firm and work your way up rather than trying to go straight in as a climber and find you've bitten off more than you can chew :thumbup1:

did start thinking that if I went straight into commercial climbing i'd be way out me depth!!!:blushing:

Edited by Ollie Wall
spellin

Thats what i did, started as a brash dragger on £3 an hour, now 4/5years on i do 99% of the climbing, still at the same company. It wont happen over night fella, but stick at it.

Edited by Tree Man Tom

Find a firm that needs a hand. Let em know your keen and reliable. Get to know the chipper in and out, drag brash/lift logs like a mad man, do a GOOD clean up after the job, make yourself useful, ask questions and dont moan.

Good lads are hard to find, stick to the above and you'll be climbing/working in no time...