help working next to powerlines

egs

You read it correctly. That is never had a tickle nor any of the lads I work with from LV. Certainly not suggesting being complacent around LV though. Surely direct contact means that the electricity earths through the cutter, and doesn't imply that he was standing in a tree at the time. Would be interested to see a case that implicitly states that a worker was killed by LV earthing through timber as our Network Operators own guidelines state that voltage must exceed 1000v to earth through a tree. They do forbid work in heavy rain though.

Have had a tickle while removing ivy from a 20kv pole. Ivy was in contact with an insulated part of the line in that situation. More a belt than a tickle.

I thought it read that you though it was a load of tosh tat you can get a shock from lv through a tree .

Also your network guidelines will comply with G55/2 thus meaning that at no point should you be in a position of cutting open wire lv where there is an imediate risk of shock .

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The example I posted actually says climber on it in brackets at the top. This means that the guy was in the tree. OSHA only did a brief outline of the incident for training purposes. The LV still has to reach earth, or should I say the climber needs to be earthed if he is to get an electric shock. If he is in the tree there are really only 3 ways he can be earthed. Phase to Phase contact, earthed through his climbing rope, which is unlikely as most ropes, if clean, are non conductive and the third is earthed through the tree. That's why all trees must be cleared from the MADs with non conductive tools before climbing. I know there's plenty of examples of trees in power lines around the place that people walk past everyday but it only needs the right set of circumstances for the earthing to occur. All the power companies I contracted to in the UK, Oz and here have never indicated that earthing will not occur below 1000v and have always insisted we treat any tree within the MADs of Lv as live. Personally I wouldn't take the risk. I got a buzz from a Beech that had grown around the lv and that was enough for me. Direct contact means the cutter actually contacts the line with some part of his body. Indirect is via a tool, branch etc. As for Ivy on poles; hate the stuff. Had one guy in the paper here telling someone else to cut Ivy off a HV pole with a bowsaw and loppers. I had to email the paper quick sharp to prevent him from doing this. Apperently the Ivy was wrapped around the conductors too. Some dangerous peole out there. If I have to deal with Ivy I usually just get the line shut down. Saves all the hassles.

• 1 year later...