tensioning speedlines?

munkymadman

We used to use a Ground anchor when I did heavy recovery which was basically a long metal plate with a load of holes in it which you drove spikes through.

Found this which looks the dogs, you can fasten a tirfor to it and as you take up tension it buries itself to form the anchor

Those ground anchors are great for pulling a load at ground level, but if the anchor point is elevated they just pull up and out of the ground, in my experience.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your probably right Peter, what you may be able to do is dig a pit to start it off deep ??

Dean that would be like digging a dead man in snow and ice. This would work as long as the angle was below 40 deg, if it was greater it would lift the anchor instead of pull into the ground!

I've done a heck of a lot of speedlining over the years, using many different techniques.

You MUST be aware of the forces generated on anchors with a tight or tensioned speedline. They can be many times the load, and go up exponentially as the line bend angle approaches zero.

We do use equipment to tension sometimes, but are aware of the sideloading...If a high tie point on a small stem is required, then consider guying back the speedline if at all possible. This can be to another tree in its canopy, or to the ground.

You say this isn't best practise and to trust the tree and the driver, doesn't this practise have too many areas that can go wrong? As professional arborists surely this kind of risky set up is what we are all trying to avoid?

it's only not best practice because it's not a generally applicable procedure. i will only apply this to solid trees, you should never apply this to tree's with serious defects. i'm afraid your sharing my bosses ignorance on the subject. if you see it in action you'll understand that it's actually very controlled and efficient. of course your laying your trust in someone else. but all tree work is based on trusting colleagues. whats stopping me from accidently dropping a limb on someone? a professional arborist understands and is able to calculate risks. if you don't want to take a risk then don't climb a tree.

• 3 weeks later...
it's only not best practice because it's not a generally applicable procedure. i will only apply this to solid trees, you should never apply this to tree's with serious defects. i'm afraid your sharing my bosses ignorance on the subject. if you see it in action you'll understand that it's actually very controlled and efficient. of course your laying your trust in someone else. but all tree work is based on trusting colleagues. whats stopping me from accidently dropping a limb on someone? a professional arborist understands and is able to calculate risks. if you don't want to take a risk then don't climb a tree.

Sorry for not replying sooner but was working out of the country. Isn't that the point? All the safety guidelines are there to reduce accidents. Whilst I agree that our job is a dangerous one we obviously should not make it any more dangerous by taking unnessary risks. It's people like you that gives our industry a bad name with your blasé attitude!:thumbdown:

All the safety guidelines are there to reduce accidents.

Are they?

For instance, guidelines say we should use 3 way karabiners. Where is the evidence that this has reduced accidents?

It would seem that many of these guidelines are dreamt up by someone who has had a tree described to them, but never actually seen one.

It's people like you that gives our industry a bad name with your blasé attitude!:thumbdown:

How can you possibly arrive at that judgement from reading a few posts on an internet forum? As well as insulting, it is uninformed and unneccesary.