Stihl 044c Chain running hot/Slackening

fodphil

Hi Chaps

After a bit of help if you don't mind.

I have a Stihl 44 and i am having probs with the chain running hot and slacking.

It had a new 20" chain about a month ago and has been run in nicely ringing some good sized ash and alder.

All of a sudden it has started to run hot and seems to slacken off even after the running in. The adjuster seems to be at full stretch and and when tightened it it seems to be ok for about 10 mins and then the chain starts to slacken or run hot.

I am getting a narked, can anyone offer some words of wisdom?

Cheers Phil

Sounds like it's not getting any oil to the chain, or not enough.

Is it flinging oil off the end of the bar, is the oil level in the tank dropping, can you see oil on the drive links,bar etc?

If no to any of the above you have an oil problem(99%) sure it is anyway from what you've already posted.

Welcome btw.:001_smile:

it isnt oiling probably............check that theres a filter on end of oil hose n oil tank.

turn up oil screw, if that doesnt work, empty oil, puts some petrol n, put cap back on...may flush out crap.

or take off oil pump, clean all pipes and re assemble,

dont sure what turns the oil pump on 44, but check to see threads or lever are doing their job.

First, check it it's oiling.

Next, is this new chain an Oregon chain on a Stihl bar by any chance? I had same symptoms with an 036- with no oil holes in the drive links, it seemed to struggle to get enough oil around A Stihl chain fixed it straight away.

Lastly, check the sprocket. A badly worn sprocket will generate heat.