bad groundsmen

vduben

Really good groundies seem rare, the reason for this i'm not sure, maybe just my experience of tree work.

QUOTE]

I can tell you why good groundies are rare, there is bugger all incentive for most of them, paid crap money (on the whole) treated like crap by prima donna climbers who think they are gods gift, if they ask for more training, the bosses cant seem to justify it. Saying that it IS possible to be good at what you do, take a pride in your work, read,read,read. Watch closely and learn. Learn to tie bowlines, and various other knots and hitches, and if you are really fortunate, you might just improve yourself.

I get really ticked off with the attitude that groundies are shite, we all work out in the wind and rain, in the mud and slime TOGETHER!! Try working together. if your groundy dont understand, then help him/her/it. Climbers want respect for what they do, then respect the poor sod on the ground too, he's the one untangling your ropes for the umpteenth time because you dropped a pile of limbs onto it, and he'll be the one clearing the mess up long after you've come down from the tree. Now STOP bitching about each other and post about something sensible:playingball:[ :thumbup1:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a climber, the groundies i worked with didn't even know how a capstan worked, they were more than happy to have themselves lifted 4ft off the ground!

spent time teaching about gravity and forces - to them pulleys and levers seem like a black art:lol:

i'll just keep my thoughts to myself from now on, ignorance must be bliss:thumbup:

yh i have been 4 foot of the ground befor with a huge lump of ash swinging level at me... my old boss didnt beleive in investing in a rigging kit... his kit was a rope.

A good groundie is essential, I am still new to this game compared to you other old boys :biggrin: but I am quickly learning, picking up a little piddly branch at a time is NOT efficient brash dragging! I may not be a brilliant climber or the best groundy in the world, but I try my best!

A good climber can spot a good reduction in the tree, but a good groundy will help them make it a great reduction. I have a laser pointer which saves so much confusion!

I love having a team of guys, two people can work on a job but a third is so much better, had 5 on a fairly easy beech job back in June, that was lots of fun and we all get along with plenty of banter!

If I could I would take 3 guys to every job!

I climb and work the ground. We take it in turns, we both did the rigging course together which was invaluable. Its the climber that is responsible for any rigging, you cant blame the groundy especially as they more than likely have not done a rigging course (assuming the climber has). We talk the job through before going up the tree. Sometimes things can change but we both make sure everyone in the team knows what they are doing.