Foundation degree course

Hello chaps,

I've recently applyed for the Foundation degree in Arb at Merristwood and today got a call from them inviting me for an interview.

Thinking about it, it occured to me, what sort of interview is it going to be? Are they going to make a decision wether to select me or not according to how well I do in the interview? Or is it more like a formallity to find out more about my background in Arboriculture? Either way, should I be worried and pick up the books to revise stuff?:ohmy:

Has anyone gone through this or have an idea of what exactly this is all about?

Drop us a line, if you know what I should expect?:scared1:

Cheers,

Tiago

I'm pretty sure it'll just be to find out a bit more about you - your experience, what you want to do in the future, whether you meet the pre-requisites and also to give you a chance to ask any questions about the course. I very much doubt it'll be any sort of 'test'.

Just ending my first year on that course. The interview is just to find out your background in the industry, informal just a sit down and chat thing really.

Hi dazlog,

Thanks for that! Where are you doing it,

and how are you finding it, hard work? Are you doing it part or full time? Im thinking of doing it part time and work at the same time, but im a bit worried about how many hours one is expected to put in it to do well.

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the course!

Tiago

HI doing the course part time. Run my own business aswell, its been quite hard but have heard the first year is the worst . Am doing the course at Kirkley Hall in Northumberland it`s the first year they`ve run the course so has been abit disorganised.Enjoying it, looking bforward to my second year.

Its nice hear from someone who's doing it, glad to know you run a business at the same time you study, im sure its hard work combining both but in the long run its worth the effort... Are you finding it a lot harder than you expected, does it require much more weekly hours than you thought it would? How many subjects are there in the first year and how many assigments does one have to write for each subject?

Im applying for Merristwood - Guilford and in Northhampton and depending on how many days it is a week and which days of the week its on I'll make a decision to which I'll go to! Theres quite a lot of factors involved in this plan of mine that I need to consider and not all of them I have control over, but hopefully it will all come together and work out.

I'll keep in touch, take care!

Tiago

Tiago,

In the first year you will cover the following;

Principles of plant and soil science

Dendrology

IT for the presentation of data for the Arb industry

Personal professional development 1

Woodland Management

Tree ops,organisation and management

Tree biology

and a tell you that`s more than enough lol

Hello dazlog,

Had my interview yesterday, it was my first time at Merristwood and I was quite impressed with its grounds. Lovelly veteran oaks spotted all around the campus, and a nice little wood as well, very nice....

Yeah the interview was quite informal, one of the course coordinators or tutor spoke with me for a while. Most of it was speaking about my passed qualifications and experience, where I previously studied and the outcome of my passed arb qualifications. Then about where Im now and where I want to be in the future... We talked about the structure of the course and what sort of input one needs to aim for... All in all I felt it was quite helpfull and usefull. I was offered a unconditional place in the course, that was nice to hear, at this stage its all still open, no comittements from either part. I still need to hear from the Northampton college. Does anyone know anything about this college in Northampton? I've heard very little about it compared with Merristwood, wonder how long they've been doing arb there.

From what she told me its a full on course lots of assigments and practicals in the lab etc... The another thing she told me that I wasn't at all aware was that its almost essential to be working because a lot of the work is connected with your current job and what one is doing. She said its a three way contract almost, all parties have a roll in it. Is it the same kind of set up at yours? She basically was saying that its designed for people who are working in the industry. I didn't realise this at all.

The subjects where pretty much the ones you said.

Thanks and good night

Tiago

Tiago,

Yes mate, thinking about she`s rite. Part of the course is you have to keep a detailed work diary for personnal development, also give examples of current or past method and risk assesments.

Second year involves tutors doing site visits, really looking forward to that lol:scared1: