unimog

tree fella

hi was thinking of buying a unimog this year sometime just wondard what are the running costs ie fuel per wk as would be used as a daily driver was thinking a u1500 most of my work is off road i got a landy 130 with a tunnision 150 chipper but chipper is always getting stuck

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was contemplating getting a mog too

no piece of kit is ever ideal for everything

i came to the conclusion that 60% of our work is more suited to a 130 with tow behind the rest can be done with the landy any ways.

I dont want 60% of our work to be subsidising piece of kit that isnt realy needed

Ive been running a U1200 for four years. Only regret is not getting a U2150LWB as would carry lots more anything.

I had a transit with a 6" trailer mounted before and the does LOADS more work, no question.

Advice is: research research research. Don't buy a cheap one. Don't buy from a dealer in the SE (can't name him here).

i use my SWB mog everyday with front mount chipper.. lot of our work is for private clients and there aren't many jobs it wont go in [height can sometimes be problem] its same width as transit give or take inch or 2.. only thing with LWB is you'l struggle to get it in tight driveways etc..it drives 12 inch chipper with ease runs on red diesel no tax cheap insurance and people wont try to nick it as much as a towable chipper.. i tow a 14 ton grain trailer behind mine up and down motorways... once you've had one you;l never be without it..

I also do mostly domestic and wish I'd put the chipper on the front bbut I bought one without a front PTO. Big mistake!

Tree Fella, if one of your main reasons for gettin a Mog is 'cos it's cool, then don't. I think that if it's not the absolute perfect vehicle for you it'll be an expensive mistake, especially if you get a cheap one.

Look to Germany. Google Merex and Merklingen. I know a chap who sourced one there and had a good experience and saved a packet of dosh. Depends on current import costs though so be careful. Research, research!

I love mine and wouldn't be without it!

and has anyone ever actualy been pulled up on it.. we're not supposed to run tractors on red when deliverin hay to stables but who's going to police it...? customs officers? i very much doubt it...

Several mog owners on here have and been made to pay back the duty. Funny when red diesel and mogs are mentioned most mog owner go quite,:wink:

Several mog owners on here have and been made to pay back the duty. Funny when red diesel and mogs are mentioned most mog owner go quite,:wink:

i was asked once.. many years ago by customs about the diesel situation and as the mog is registered as tractor and we got farm with lot cattle i said the chip it produces is used for cattle beddin.. they said long as chip isn't left on sight and is taken back yo our farm for beddig it wasmt problem.. we been stopped several times on motorways by traffic police towin 14 ton agri spec grain trailer and [ for odd light noy workin] and they dont seem to have clue about regs..