The Big Forestry Sell-Off... Good or bad...Thoughts

Andy Collins

Selling off the nations forests was only to be expected when the conservatives got back in to government - they sold just about everything else off !

My main concern would be who is going to be responsible for overseeing the kind of national strategy needed for this country to produce its own timber and firewood as sustainable fuel.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling off the nations forests was only to be expected when the conservatives got back in to government - they sold just about everything else off !

My main concern would be who is going to be responsible for overseeing the kind of national strategy needed for this country to produce its own timber and firewood as sustainable fuel.

Whats wrong with the Forestry Commission. It already has full control on whether I cut my woodland down or not. It handles all the grants available for management and replanting. If it disposes of all its commercial woodland it then has no conflict of interest in managing the UK woodland and could derive its income by a small levy on every tonne of timber produced. I am not being political but if I was in the boardroom of the forestry commission and was told you have a potential liability for disease in your woodlands of x billion or you could realise your assets now while they still have value I know which option I would have been recommending. I however would have done it by stealth similar to the FC Scotland sales with the aim to offload the 200k hectares within 20 years.

Forestry seems to be the one professional trade that the public become involved with when it has no clue at all. I have never gone into an office and told that person how to do the work they are trained/skilled and experienced at.

Farmers grow food and people do not run to the press complaining and are happy to be fed.

I wish people would consider where the wooden chairs and table at home/white paper/toilet rolls/fencing poles/panels all come from?

It is ONLY 16% being sold so wish the public would stop moaning. Some of us use more sustainable methods than a £300,000 machine.

The government are trying to change the law to enable up to 100% of the forestry estate to be sold off in the next 10 years or so.

I have no problem with this provided local forestry firms are given a decent chance to purchase as at least it might help stop all the 80% imported wood products.

Do not want people like Woodland/National Trust's to purchase as often most work is given to unemployed people "working" for the BTCV instead of local legal firms:001_huh:

Don't want to get into a debate about politics but i would just like to mention Labour and 400 tonnes of gold in the same sentance. Touche` me thinks!!:001_tt2:

Forestry seems to be the one professional trade that the public become involved with when it has no clue at all. I have never gone into an office and told that person how to do the work they are trained/skilled and experienced at.

Farmers grow food and people do not run to the press complaining and are happy to be fed.

I wish people would consider where the wooden chairs and table at home/white paper/toilet rolls/fencing poles/panels all come from?

It is ONLY 16% being sold so wish the public would stop moaning. Some of us use more sustainable methods than a £300,000 machine.

What makes you so sure that the public are clueless about forestry? And why do you imagine that people who don't work in the sector have no right to an opinion? Growing up close to Cannock Chase, I understood perfectly that a large part of it was managed commercially, and was happy that the income from timber helped to maintain the other aspects.

I would have thought that, as one of the few government departments that has the ability to directly generate income from what it produces, and thus support its research, educational and conservation activities, the FC would be exactly the kind of thing that the Tories would leave intact. Given the increase in demand for firewood (covered extensively in other threads), now would appear to be the very worst time for disposal of publicly owned, productive forests, just as they are about to start making a bit more cash.

And, for heaven's sake, which country do you live in? May I be the first to welcome you to the UK, where the consumer continually batters the farmer about pesticide use, GM, greenhouse gas generation, fertiliser use, pollution, animal welfare, zoonotic diseases... To suggest that no-one ever takes a farmer to task about his methods is, I'm sorry, complete nonsense.

The reason you don't go into an office to tell clerical staff how to do their job is because it has no tangible, direct impact on your life. Forests and woodlands directly touch the lives of those that visit them. If you can no longer empathise with that, then I feel rather sorry for you.

When I first saw your post, I hoped that you were merely attempting to wind people up, or were spoiling for a fight after a bad day. However, if you really do feel this contemptuous towards anyone who isn't in your particular line of work, then I have to say that the public are right to be worried.

What makes you so sure that the public are clueless about forestry? And why do you imagine that people who don't work in the sector have no right to an opinion?

And, for heaven's sake, which country do you live in? May I be the first to welcome you to the UK.

Forests and woodlands directly touch the lives of those that visit them.

The public are often clueless due to the comments and actions we have often seen when working in woodlands. (Covering fresh cut wood lengths with soil to make cycle ramps/asking how far down the charcoal kiln mine goes/why are we doing deforestation to name a few)

People can have a right to an opinion on life in general provided it is formed on correct facts and the action taken does not cause serious issues to the people that do all the hard work keeping the woods looking nice for the public to walk in with the children and dogs at the weekend whilst earning an income.

I like to leave woodlands 100% improved to the condition before we went in.

Regarding comments of welcome to the UK is an odd one. Where do you think I am from:thumbdown:

Be interested as to the work you do to earn an income?:001_smile:

Hi Taditional Logger

Spring, summer and autumn, I produce fruit and veg and look after pigs in 100 acres of woodland undergoing restoration. During the winter I assist in the hands-on tasks in the woodland; chipping, hoiking lumps of firewood about, replanting etc. Being a middle-aged lady, I tend to leave the chainsaw work to the younger, fitter guys, but can still wield one if necessary.

I have worked in areas where the public had a lot more access than the place I work now, and yes, people do ask what appear to us to be incredibly stupid questions. Personally, I have always enjoyed the opportunity to engage and educate people, although this can be massively time-consuming. I figure that's the price we pay for having jobs that make an awful lot of people envious. (Regarding cycle ramps: yes, we had similar problems and had to ensure custom-built facilities were in place to avoid (further) legal action.)

The UK comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to your suggestion that farmers are free of criticism from the public. Farming and food production generate a lot of column inches in the UK, and a lot of discussion on radio/TV, and are the cause of a fair amount of direct action by campaign groups. The population probably discusses farming practices almost as frequently as it discusses what it would like to do to bankers.