Milling oak

ashman

Drying time I find is around 8 weeks for 2" oak.

It takes a bit of time playing around kilning wood. Wastage isn't too bad but then the stuff I make I don't have to worry about the odd crack or 5 :biggrin:

Impressive stuff Rob! I haven't any issues getting 1.5 inch Oak dry (and thicker boards of other species) but the 2 inch stuff has required 11-12 weeks, not 8.

That said, I keep changing my mind about drying methods, and am going to try heat vent for the next one! :001_huh:

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have milled/had milled quite a lot of wide oak for canal boats - 2" for hull planks and 3" for bottoms now you can't get elm easily. To be honest, I've found you can get away with a lot. When through-and-through sawing the ones nearest the centre are most stable, and I do split clean up the centre as soon as the throat will reach, as I don't want a boxed heart, and I paint the end with cheap oil-based gloss to slow down differential drying. I then just stack in the shade with good thick sticks - say 1in for 3ft boards to let air through, cover the top not the sides and leave to dry.

I don't find a bit of windblown rain matters, and I find oak resistant enough to rot that any mould is surface only. However, sapwood is strictly sacrificial and I don't mill between end of April and start of Sept to avoid surface checking, which is controllable but too much effort!

HTH

Alec

Hi Rob,

Your other question was about green vs. dead. I've usually used dead - standing or otherwise. They seem to dry out so slowly that a 3ft butt with the bark still on is still wringing wet after 10yrs lying! As such, it doesn't seem to make much difference, just pick the nicest looking one.

Alec

Hi.

Yes i will certainly be using dead as thats all that i have available now, all the green stuff has been cleared for this year, but i have a few dead ones still standing and a few on the deck i have already dropped.

Rob.

ditto everyone else...

slow I found is the key with oak.. the first 3" slabs I cut (55cm <--> ) warped more than the starship enterprise in the kiln - but then I'm not scared by a little joinery, so I didn't mind. I think it's a temperamental wood to dry well.

I also found the 2" oak boards taking about 8 weeks so far to 16%.

best results i've had so far are with yew, cherry, cedar...

I can wholly recommend milling and furniture making.

BTW, Rob, ive got some 8ft 120cm wide, 2" (and a few 3") chestnut slabs to kiln dry, how long? - butt had been sitting for a few years.

I suppose in theory in a kiln they would still be the same as thinner slabs so 8 weeks ish for 2" but does depend on your kiln.

As said above it doesn't really seem to matter if the butts been down a few years as it'll still be wet!