Secret Weapon

High Scale

Its a neat idea. There is a variation I have seen on tinternet where it is tied with a french prussik. It is then possible to retrieve it from the SRT line because it is just spiraled around the rope. It can also be set up on the line before ascending and advanced with the ascender.

Its clearly a good way of switching from SRT to a floating anchor on the line. Easier than unweighting the line and tying an alpine butterfly.

I have accesed a few trees with SRT recently. I like isolating the limb and tying a running bowline. Mostly because we only have 45 m ropes and its nice and easy to tie a nice big bowline around the throwline when you are pulling up the acces line.

I like the idea of working drt of an srt line but I think when working on the extremities of branches the tail of the srt line would add to the feel of the weight of the climbing system pulling you back towards the tree.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My groundsmen are very bright and interesting and believe it or not they do not wave cutting tools around ropes and are opened minded to new techniques and ALL of them want me to climb off a trunk belay for rescue possibilities, maybe it's because THEY ARE NOT CLIMBERS and are not stuck in thier ways.

It's a vermisilitude to look too much into the obvious negatives of trunk belays.

Edited by softbankhawks
Blahblahblah

Vermisilitude, interesting word, bit early though for myself to get my head round what you actually mean by using it, do you mean suspend your disbelief of the method? I need more coffee.

Anyway, how are you my SRT freak friend, how is the Thompson Tree Tool?

Are you still splicing?

Edited by High Scale
added love.

Vermisilitude, interesting word, bit early though for myself to get my head round what you actually mean by using it, do you mean suspend your disbelief of the method? I need more coffee.

Are you still splicing?

I think he had a moment! Yes he is still using the Uni and yes he is still splicing, producing some good gear as well.

Are you still splicing?

Highscale, I met some competition climbers at a show last year and I demo'd my unicender for them. I was shocked by their lack of interest and general unfriendliness. My good friend Mike P pointed out that through their own advancement they have become pigeon holed, almost like a prussic loop climber who dare not try out any of the wonderful friction hitch/cord combo's for fear of/uninterest in change. Hmmmmm.

The only comment they made and only mumbling between themselves was about a groundsman cutting the trunk belay. I became despondent. What a silly comment thought I.:thumbdown:

I need to speak about some splicing stuff. I'll pm ya.

Highscale, I met some competition climbers at a show last year and I demo'd my unicender for them. I was shocked by their lack of interest and general unfriendliness. My good friend Mike P pointed out that through their own advancement they have become pigeon holed, almost like a prussic loop climber who dare not try out any of the wonderful friction hitch/cord combo's for fear of/uninterest in change. Hmmmmm.

The only comment they made and only mumbling between themselves was about a groundsman cutting the trunk belay. I became despondent. What a silly comment thought I.:thumbdown:

I need to speak about some splicing stuff. I'll pm ya.

I guess they are too chicken:sneaky2: haha.. in all seriousness though, I am surprised that the guys stateside are ahead of us on this front! Us brits have been the trend setters throughout history.. not now lol

Tbh when I first tried SRT work positioning it did feel strange and a bit less stable but I think I am getting used to it.:thumbup1:

hey , it is me in the video, and it was made in the 1000 islands region of Ontario, and yeah man, it is cold.

the comment about feeling like it is pulling you back towards the tree is partially right.

"if" the rope angle is shallow, but if it is steep, it makes you feel like you are part of the rope more, which is very cool indeed :)

You could set your DdRT rig up at ground level and take it with you, which is what I would do, but I wanted to show that it could be set up aloft pretty easily.

cheers!