Chronic arm injuries

TomFellows

I'm 37 now and have similar problems with my forearms and elboes a lot. Physio seems to help keep the tendonitis at bay though! Good nutrition and drinking lots of water help.

I think unfortunetly it goes with the territory of getting older and still trying to do the same workload as when you were 27!

I now just don't try and push myself as before and do regular yoga.

I'm not saying it's just age but prob combo of age and genetics... :sneaky2: I'm sure there's people out there 60+ who are still going strong.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I turn to you, my fellow tree dwellers, for help, guidance, thoughts, ideas, inspiration. My injuries are very bad and I am getting worried and desperate about my future. Any help would be so appreciated!

Tom

All sounds very familiar to me, I think you need to rest up those joints for a while, start delegating more. I think you need to run your business from the ground or the offfice for a while. Try low impact exercise and relaxation.

My example; just a slight shoulder strain took about ten years till it settled. Joint problems take forever. Sorry for such a negative post it's just my experience.

Good luck with it by the way.

Edited by lendahand
Forgot to wish him luck

I experienced the same. Like migraines in your elbows and shoulders and some times all at the same time.

no more cut and catch, no more odd position pole or hand sawing, no more using the arm and shoulder to lever into position, no more ineffecient body thrusting, no more hard fast swings and drops, and I don't know if this helps but gave up Cola/pops altogether.

I have very minor flare ups at 42 yrs old and these few changes in practice will hopefully keep me going for another 42. I had to keep working thru the pain to keep the fridge full and stay far far away from the docs and so far so good. Be conscience how your body moves, it has very specific movements that are comfortable.

Sounds more like a rotor cuff rather than tendonitous but I'm no doctor. My left rotor cuff is well knackered. It's OK while I'm working but as soon as I rest up it starts to ache. Nothing really sharp but just this dull nagging ache. The kwak has tried a few things but it seems the only way to really deal with it is surgery which means 3 months off work. I can't afford that so I do pilates mixed with a bit of physio to keep the body a bit more supple. Anti inflammatories if the pain gets too much and I try to make sure I don't hang off my left arm too much. The worst is if I'm hanging from my left hand and slip and wrench the shoulder or if I'm using the long reach hedge trimmer above my head all day long. Weights seemed to make things worse, especially chest, shoulder and back work so I gave that away.

what rope do you climb on?

Just a basic Yale climbing rope.

The thing is fellas, I haven't really climbed properly for about 6 months now, but that's not the point anyway. The damage has already been done and whatever tasks I try and undertake at work (lifting kit on/off truck, raking, hedge cutting, dragging branches, feeding chipper etc. etc. etc.) just aggravates the injuries further.

There is very little work on the tools that doesn't make the problem worse.

To be frank, I know what I need to do. I need to stop all physical work altogether. I think what I'm looking for is help with removing the constant aching and also any specific types of therapy (or therapists!) that anyone can recommend?