saying good bye to a tree

Jerseygirl

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

........ it supplys oxygen for 18 people for one year fact .:001_cool:

It's these sort of 'cod science' facts that make us all look like dribbling treehugging imbeciles

O2 is actually just a 'byproduct' of photosynthesis.

(6CO2 + 6H2O + light -> C6H12O6 + 6O2)

And to say that trees supply our oxygen is exaggerating a bit. Certainly plants on land are important to us, they protect the land from erosion with their roots and provide beauty and shade on a hot day; but the oxygen they produce is a bonus that we could probably survive without. Marine and freshwater algae produces about 330 billion tons of oxygen each year. Thats getting on for 50 tons per person,( worlds population 6.6 billion), each of whom consumes around 248.35 kilos per year.

It was quoted as a fact in a tree council book, authors jon stokes,john white. i dont really know how much oxygen trees give off ive never asked one. but it sounds as if you are a boff on the subject.:001_cool: ps not taking the mick some one should know.

its a fact, but it counts for a beech tree. a large mature beech tree specifically. which has an extreamly large quantity of leaves in comparision to other mature trees. that tree council book is pretty good but a bit simple and nonspecific, prefer shigo any day. btw whats shigos book that every page is pretty much a colour picture about pruning, topping co dominent stems ect? really would like to know the name.

It was quoted as a fact in a tree council book, authors jon stokes,john white. i dont really know how much oxygen trees give off ive never asked one. but it sounds as if you are a boff on the subject.:001_cool: ps not taking the mick some one should know.

The point that I was making was the oxygen produced by trees is given an unrealistic importance by many in an effort to persuade the public that trees are vital to their wellbeing. They are but not for that reason. Plants are important to humans and other life for a host of seperate ,related and disparate reasons. Without them earth would be a very different place and not particularly friendy for life in any of its common forms.

The ammount of oxgen produced by the plant is calculated from the leaf; taking into account the size shape and weight in addition to the food, water light etc and can only ever be an estimate due to the variables.

but you must admit oxygen for 18 people for a year? i know were not running out of it but its pretty impressive, and it dose seem like trees are here paying us a service, which i agree is not their primary role on this planet, but if small facts like that make people think twice about felling a nice big beech tree in their garden just so they can have sunlight 2 hours longer, then it makes all the diffrence.

i am into veteran trees and i would not cut one down

and i know that the habitat in my 600 year old oaks is important. getting back to saying goodbye i have lost two 400 ish year old oaks in the park the first thing i do is give them a moment and think about thier life then i cut all the branches off to feed the deer and cattle then the trees will be used to the max. ps windblow butt rot.

but you must admit oxygen for 18 people for a year? i know were not running out of it but its pretty impressive, and it dose seem like trees are here paying us a service, which i agree is not their primary role on this planet, but if small facts like that make people think twice about felling a nice big beech tree in their garden just so they can have sunlight 2 hours longer, then it makes all the diffrence.

If you extrapolate the oxygen argument then you would get to a point where it would be sensible to suggest the removal of veteran trees and the planting of new ones, as these are more efficient in the production of oxygen.

If this is the sort of thing that has to be used to get the message across as to the benefits of plants then I can only surmise that the general public is just too stupid to understand anything not presented in picture book simplicity.

That is very sad.