Anyone at home ?

David Humphries

Do you not assess every nook, crevice, loose piece of loose bark for bat habitat potential ???

Really..............:001_tongue:

The letter was a bit of ass covering as it was not 'just' potential but actually being used.

How high up your agenda is looking at a tree as potential habitat?

Do you record any assessment ?

i use the endoscope all the time before removing limbs with cavities etc or monoliths......do all the bat forms etc etc.......i also try and retain as much potential habitat features as possible........obviously i'm a little removed from where the decision makers reside so a little unsure of the protocol/beaurocracy.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use the endoscope all the time before removing limbs with cavities etc or monoliths......do all the bat forms etc etc.......i also try and retain as much potential habitat features as possible........obviously i'm a little removed from where the decision makers reside so a little unsure of the protocol/beaurocracy.

Sounds as if 'you've' got it covered sean.

Though technically - sticking a probe into a potential habitat site without a bat handling licence would possibly be an offence.

Are you licensed?

I'm not, but we have one at hand.

Have heard the the BCT are looking seriously at addressing this problem in regards to Arbs, which is not before time.

• 1 month later...
Guessing you may have posted that before I uploaded the last shot.

Here's a couple showing the brown rot in the stem.

Making the asumption that this is Fistulina decay, as pretty much all the adjacent oaks have it & not Laetiporus.

david, looking at the rather nice mycelial matting in this oak butt i would suggest strongly that laeti is the culprit as opposed to fistulina, we simply dont see this sheet form of mycelium in fistulina colonisations. And a lack of fruiting bodies is not enough reason to justify an assumption. IMO

david, looking at the rather nice mycelial matting in this oak butt i would suggest strongly that laeti is the culprit as opposed to fistulina, we simply dont see this sheet form of mycelium in fistulina colonisations. And a lack of fruiting bodies is not enough reason to justify an assumption. IMO

T'is possible Tony, though in twenty five years, five months & about 12 days of knowing this tree & that Oak avenue Intimately.

There has not (as far as I'm aware) been any chicken poppin out to say cluck cluck :001_rolleyes:

Almost every other tree on this avenue fruits fista.

But there are other Oaks in the general vicinity that do have Chicken.

So you may be right.

I get the mycelial mat thing :thumbup1:

T'is possible Tony, though in twenty five years, five months & about 12 days of knowing this tree & that Oak avenue Intimately.

There has not (as far as I'm aware) been any chicken poppin out to say cluck cluck :001_rolleyes:

Almost every other tree on this avenue fruits fista.

But there are other Oaks in the general vicinity that do have Chicken.

So you may be right.

I get the mycelial mat thing :thumbup1:

i did bet with a well known consultant on this very issue (a months wages ) the presence of these sheets is confrimation of the laeti, other brown rots differ, fistulina (lacking mycelial sheets and more powdery than cracked and fissured, or Oak maze gill a saprobic fungi. of course there is the Piptoporus, but we can rule that out:001_smile:

I found laeti on ash for the first time last week, and much to my joy, it was fruitng from the charred remains of a vandalised \( arson) veteran, which just further enhances a theory i have regarding heat activation particulary lightning which appears to be a chief instigator of laeti in oaks.

the plot thickens

Hello,

Nice to see a bit about bats on the forum.I think you bat in the photo is a noctule not a pip.They fly high catch moths etc and like a clear flight path into their roost-which was probably the old woodpecker hole.Is that where it appeared from ? Other species of bats would also like to get in behind that loose bark

Any chance you can cut a section with the woodpecker hole in it and locate it in on of the trees nearby in a similar orientation ?

There are one day courses for Arbs about bats in trees and the legislation.I can give anyone more details it they are interested.

Have attached a photo of a noctule in the hand for you to see the size etc.

I am in Herefordshire but am always interested in Bats and other species.

-and trees of course ! have done work recording veterans etc and part of an HND on sustainable Woodland Management.

Keep up the good work.

Alan Edwards.

Edwards Ecology. 01531 660729 07531 216837. http://[email protected]:

DSC_0108.jpg.f2f6c95bd87b96dd0420e54b06d902fc.jpg

Hello,

Nice to see a bit about bats on the forum.I think you bat in the photo is a noctule not a pip.They fly high catch moths etc and like a clear flight path into their roost-which was probably the old woodpecker hole.Is that where it appeared from ? Other species of bats would also like to get in behind that loose bark

Any chance you can cut a section with the woodpecker hole in it and locate it in on of the trees nearby in a similar orientation ?

There are one day courses for Arbs about bats in trees and the legislation.I can give anyone more details it they are interested.

Have attached a photo of a noctule in the hand for you to see the size etc.

I am in Herefordshire but am always interested in Bats and other species.

-and trees of course ! have done work recording veterans etc and part of an HND on sustainable Woodland Management.

Keep up the good work.

Alan Edwards.

Edwards Ecology. 01531 660729 07531 216837. http://[email protected]:

great to have you on board edward, nice cardoon :lol:

Hello Alan,

welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the input on the thread.

The removed section of Oak has already been identified for resurection & will be strapped on to some near by Oaks.

ala Ted Green style, like these here at Highstanding at Windsor great Park :thumbup1:

DSC00960.JPG.ed6c86348eb113284255c70ce053cb46.JPG

DSC00961.jpg.bf357ec77632cba530da9d68d9f76802.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D