Yew wood

Logarithm

But that's the point robbo - why offer beer money for it? Why not offer a fair price?! Build a relationship with the tree surgeon/wood seller and then they will look out for the bits worth turning.

You've sort of contradicted yourself basically saying advertise with a price to haggle with but not a stupid price... well how does the fellow know what a stupid price is?! Or if he asks for offers you're saying don't get upset if you offer him beer money.

I've had around 80 to 100 woodturners to my yard. Of them 4 still come and buy off me regularly. Of the rest the less said the better...

rob, if someone asks me for offers, out of principle i offer low money, ive found whatever i offer, it's never enough,

however, if they lay there cards on the table, & ask me say... £100 per ton, then we can usually have a deal, i like dealing with honest open people, who dont mind stating how they value things, i find its an easier way of building a business relationship!!!!:001_smile:

Fair enough. I don't have much experience buying wood :biggrin: perhaps in bulk like this by the ton is the best way of doing it.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Logarithm

Sorry to say but Yew or otherwise its not worth very much at all to a wood turner unless they have a big fire place.

To be of any use for turning it needs to be cut where possible in larger lengths. if left in the round it then needs end sealing, storing properly preferably out of the rain and direct sun (which will do even more damage than the rain) alternatively you can plank it and properly store as above it with sticks between to let the air through it etc etc.

Cut in short pieces as it is now by the time its dried it will no doubt split right through as the pith dries at a different rate than the rest of the wood. If it was in longer lengths then you may get away with just end checks which you can cut off before selling.

Large diameter wood will never dry out completely if left in the round and even after 2-3 years stored on end will still soak you when you start to turn them. !!! The answer is to turn it green and control the drying if not it ends up firewood anyway.

You could as suggested above by someone put it on e-bay and sell it to some budding unsuspecting wood turner who doesn't know better but my advice is sell it for burning and not for turning.

Kraftinwood

Woodturning Large Bowls and Hollow Forms, Australian and Native Burrs.