Another knackered 357xpg!!!!!

antipesto

Clean the cylinder wall, work on it with muriatic acid and a q tip until the aluminium transfer has gone, lightly rub the bore in a circular (not up and down action) with 400 grit emery until the nikasil plating is very slightly honed and clean.

Fit a new piston, reasemble, pressure check ensuring crank seals, boots etc are sealing, re-adjust the carb for a slightly richer L setting and ensure four stroking at WOT then use a 40:1 petrol oil mix in future!

I never knew Stihls don't seize because they are German, no one told that to the Stihl 020T with a tear in the carb boot that is sitting on my bench with a scored piston!!! Don't knock the Husky, it probably had an air leak, old fuel or just sawdust encrusted air filter etc!

Spud

• 1 month later...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just got one of my 357s going again at the weekend, similar to yours, the cylinder has been salvaged as I believe yours can be.

My findings are that the carb boot is a weak point for air leaks, I seal them with a little smear of liquid gasket, modify the plastic boot clamp with a jubillee clip and this works well. Other weak points are the automatic decompressor, it is a pig to pressure check the engine and mine is puffing at idle so I will have to strip it down or replace it.

I reckon it is the decompressor that did for this saw as it will introduce air in to the combustion chamber and that causes a lean mix.

Apart from that it looks business as usual and will fly once it is finished - need to find a new sprocket bearing as it is cracked!

Expensive - not if I do it:thumbup:

Spud

Just to update the saw's up and running now:thumbup1: after buying a non genuine piston for just over £20 off ebay from Garden Hire Spares, I think the make was golf. The non genuine piston seems to be the same and comes with ring, gudgeon pin and clips. I salvaged the cylinder with acid and fine grit emery. The crankcase needed cleaning out due to the saw being stripped by the owner before being cleaned off, so I swilled it out with petrol a number of times untill the fuel came out clean. It is still in need of a decent carb (currently it's fitted with one off another saw). I have contacted husqvarna about the carb issues and their response is;

"Further to your recent communication

Unfortunately without examination we cannot diagnose the cause of failure.

Please take the product to a registered Service Dealer with a copy of your

proof of purchase, if the failure is due to a manufacturing fault the

repair will be carried out under the terms of the guarantee."

Don't think I'll bother :thumbdown: A mate of mine bought a 357xpg at roughly the same time as this, it never ran right from day one. After being returned to the dealers twice, it was still the same. The saw got stolen out of a landrover in the end, still running like sh*t. 357's a good powerfull saw when they are running, but the problem is when and for how long!

Bring back the 262xp:thumbup:

Just to update the saw's up and running now:thumbup1: after buying a non genuine piston for just over £20 off ebay from Garden Hire Spares, I think the make was golf. The non genuine piston seems to be the same and comes with ring, gudgeon pin and clips. I salvaged the cylinder with acid and fine grit emery. The crankcase needed cleaning out due to the saw being stripped by the owner before being cleaned off, so I swilled it out with petrol a number of times untill the fuel came out clean. It is still in need of a decent carb (currently it's fitted with one off another saw). I have contacted husqvarna about the carb issues and their response is;

"Further to your recent communication

Unfortunately without examination we cannot diagnose the cause of failure.

Please take the product to a registered Service Dealer with a copy of your

proof of purchase, if the failure is due to a manufacturing fault the

repair will be carried out under the terms of the guarantee."

Don't think I'll bother :thumbdown: A mate of mine bought a 357xpg at roughly the same time as this, it never ran right from day one. After being returned to the dealers twice, it was still the same. The saw got stolen out of a landrover in the end, still running like sh*t. 357's a good powerfull saw when they are running, but the problem is when and for how long!

Bring back the 262xp:thumbup:

I,ve got a real sweet running 262xp! think i may just keep it:001_cool:

Edited by elfinwood saws

Decided to fit a standard decomp valve on the two I have and fit a cap on the pipe that vents in to the crankcase - think the only reason for the vent is to meet US EPA rules.

Both have faulty valves and both show slight signs of seizure so will be a good improvement on this. Should be able to get both running well.