24v to 12v ?

Marc

We just got ourselves a 7.5t truck its a Daf don't ask me which one, all I know is its big.

The 7.5t is the only vehicle that has a 24v trailer power supply, for the brake, indicator lights etc. Everything else we have runs at 12v

So the question is whats the best way to drop the voltage down to 12v?

Any suggestions?

We just got ourselves a 7.5t truck its a Daf don't ask me which one, all I know is its big.

The 7.5t is the only vehicle that has a 24v trailer power supply, for the brake, indicator lights etc. Everything else we have runs at 12v

So the question is whats the best way to drop the voltage down to 12v?

Any suggestions?

get a seperate trailer board that hasd24v bulbs in it and you just temporary place this on the trailer.

We want something more simple, we have 6 different towable bits of kit, all with built in lighting.

Changing bulbs, or adding lighting boards is something we want to avoid.

There must be some kind of voltage converter or other availible?

Thanks Roller gives me something to go on, I googled 24v to 12v step down converters and found plenty but nothing specifically for tow hitches.

Also googled dropper box, found some info on Land Rover forums, but most of these were for using CB radios and setting up 12v lighter sockets for charging mobile phones.

I'll give some towing centers a ring tomorrow and see what I can find.

I did hear about something that pluged into the socket at the back which you could also plug the trailer/chipper into to. This would be ideal as its simple to install and uninstall. I can find nothing like this on google though.

Thanks Roller gives me something to go on, I googled 24v to 12v step down converters and found plenty but nothing specifically for tow hitches.

Also googled dropper box, found some info on Land Rover forums, but most of these were for using CB radios and setting up 12v lighter sockets for charging mobile phones.

I'll give some towing centers a ring tomorrow and see what I can find.

I did hear about something that pluged into the socket at the back which you could also plug the trailer/chipper into to. This would be ideal as its simple to install and uninstall. I can find nothing like this on google though.

I'd just leave it to the experts, i've messed with electrics before, not nice blowing fuses and wondering if your loom might go up in smoke etc...:awink:

They might well be called step down convertors, i've just heard them called dropper boxes..

Just one thing ''in the cab'' has the electric fag lighter/12v/24v plug socket been dropped to 12v? they usualy have been, but it would be good to check just in case you plug a sat-nav or phone charger in and bugger it up!

i drive a 17 tonner and we had a dropper put on so we can tow other trailors and chippers they are very common on wagons as all cig lighters are 24v and car kits require droppers though beware the dropper tacho and alarm all use electric and after 4 days often wont start