Snow in SW

gibbon

so what does jan/feb bring for us peckerwoo could we be in for more or are we gona get a mild january now ? :001_smile:

The change does not look like coming in with a bang like of old where we had frontal snow before the raging wild atlantic westerlies brought us rain and high winds.

Slow progress North and east of any frontal activity will fade away and temps will slowly recover everywhere but the further east and north you are any real milder air will be felt significantly less as the anti-cyclone sat over NW europe will have a cool feel to it and the surface cold hangs for quite a while due to the limited strength of the fronts approaching western Eire boxing day.

The Jet strength is still low with a kick around new years flowing up around a slack high pressure system over NW europe diluting any real cold air that weve had over recent times so we are looking at a very dull uneventful couple of weeks if I were to offer anything with average to slightly lower temps still with overnight frosts but nothing as severe as just passed(ing).

Not keen at all on the forthcoming setup as its benign "mucky" weather and can really eat into the shortest days without very cold weather reaching any chance to reform, their will be some spells of wintry weather coming along and severe again at that but before then I`d say winter will soon be living on borrowed time?

Rainfall is an issue but an early spring and record breaking summer beckons ;)

Putting last nites Pittsburgh and Carolina game on, cracking open a bitburger barrel and quite frankly not giving a damn :D

merry xmas arbtalkers :)

PS: If any events form i`ll open a new thread for anyone interested.

Edited by peckerwoo

@peckerwoo "...record breaking summer beckons"

Please could you elaborate? 'Record-breaking' in what way -- rain? drought? sunshine? heat?

And for the benefit of a newby, what are your credentials? Professional meteorologist? Amateur weather forecaster? Clairvoyant? Supernatural being? Other?

Hi John,

Credentials? mmmmm, very little i`m afraid as my youth was spent very recklessly :D

All we can do to attempt some sort of prediction is to look back and compare like for like?

For instance most harsh winters that have seen averages below normal with Ice and snow common have been prior to hotter and drier summers.

Of course, we can never predict with certainty anything other than whats within 48hrs or less in some circumstances?

Patterns can be spotted and proven, and these stem from anything such as trade winds in the Pacific to stratospheric warming with enough in between to keep Einstein busy but more of an accurate "nearer the mark" thing than a total bust and its not just a "personal feeling" as I`d welcome snow in winter and storms in summer every year.

We`ll see how it goes I guess but its time i got a life and dug into a beer before the mother-in-law turns up :o;)

Hi John,

Credentials? mmmmm, very little i`m afraid as my youth was spent very recklessly :D

All we can do to attempt some sort of prediction is to look back and compare like for like?

For instance most harsh winters that have seen averages below normal with Ice and snow common have been prior to hotter and drier summers.

Of course, we can never predict with certainty anything other than whats within 48hrs or less in some circumstances?

Patterns can be spotted and proven, and these stem from anything such as trade winds in the Pacific to stratospheric warming with enough in between to keep Einstein busy but more of an accurate "nearer the mark" thing than a total bust and its not just a "personal feeling" as I`d welcome snow in winter and storms in summer every year.

We`ll see how it goes I guess but its time i got a life and dug into a beer before the mother-in-law turns up :o;)

I'll be interested to see how your prediction pans out. One thing that I always wonder is why weather forecasters on the telly always say, "...it will do this", and, "...it's going to be that"? I always think they wouldn't take so much stick if they instead said, "...we expect it to do this", or, "...it might be that".

Any road up, enjoy the beer! I always wait for my meal before I have a drink but maybe tonight will be an exception. My three lads and their girlfriends are turning up shortly -- haven't seen them for a while. I've told them to take it steady on the roads. The thermometer says its -2C out at the moment here in deepest darkest Devon.

Merry Christmas to you and anyone else who reads this!

Best wishes,

JR