Helping hand

RobRainford

I had a bit of an episode today. I dropped my mum off at manchester airport and as I was leaving. A Renault Clio was two cars in front in the inside lane of the exit route. It was two lanes and we were coming up to a slip road which would make it into three.

In the outside lane there was a taxi. With a few other cars behind it.

Everything was normal. Until the clio just touched the snow at the side of the road. Which then sent it into a spin, it went front first into the central barrier in front of the taxi. The taxi braked but still give the Clio a good whack and set the curtain airbags off.

Me and the girlfriend were in the naval with all the gritting gear on. I saw all this happening and I couldn't drive past. So I put on the flashing lights and pulled over in front of the taxi and Clio which was facing the wrong way at an angle against the barrier.

The taxi driver was out his car and waving to the girl inside the Clio who was in hysterics. He was trying to get the door open. With no luck.

I took charge of it all and went round the passenger side door which I could open a little bit enough for me to get in.

The girl was crying a shaking and not in a good state. She wasn't injured, she had been bashed on the hip where the taxi had pushed her door in but the door took the force and the airbag next to her stopped her getting any more injuries.

I put my arm round her and just started to reassure her and talk to her to calm her down. It worked and managed to establish her name and where she was hurt. I encouraged her to make her way out the car. She managed to get out and we got her to the side of the road.

I then found out there were two passengers in the taxi, who were going home from an abandoned honeymoon due to 2 day delays. The woman was severely shaken and had hit her shoulder. The guy was shaken also but was more concerned for his wife.

Just after it had happened a guy from st johns ambulance was coming down the slip road and he pulled over and started to help. He phoned the police. I was about to as he asked. My priority was making sure the girl was alright.

The ambulance turned up about 5 minutes later. The police about 20! The.police stopped the traffic and a highways agency truck dragged the Clio to a spot on the hard shoulder. I did attempt to drive it as the car still worked but the steering was gone so I couldn't do anything.

Me and the cabbie moved our vehicles to the hard shoulder across the slip road. His taxi had some minor front damage.

The people in the taxi got a free ride home. But were leaving after we were told we could. We both gave our contact details as witnesses.

The taxi driver and couple were very grateful. The girl was taken onto the ambulance to be assessed at the hospital.

Some good karma for Christmas I think!

Similar thing happened to me on Sunday, working in a area of woodland next to a road.

Heard a massive bang/crunch so ran over to the road to find a car on its side in the ditch....with one person in. Cars were just driving past without even stopping to ask if everything was ok!!

Ambulance turned up first followed by air ambulance and then police (30mins) and fire (even later!) Luckily the ambulance crew were able to get the women out safely and she got off lightly with a possibly broken leg and just shock.

Stay safe over christmas guys!