How many loose cubic metres does a solid cubic metre make?

doobin

Hello everyone; my first post.

A litre of water (at 4 degrees C) weighs one kilo.

One 10cm x10cm x 10cm cube of water weighs a kilo.

A metric tonne (1000 kilos) is the same weight as 1000 litres or a cubic metre of water.

One cubic metre of a dense wood that would float level with the surface of the water would weigh one tonne (because it weighs the same as the water it displaces). A cubic metre of a wood that floats higher in water would weigh a lot less than one tonne. Also bear in mind that a cubic metre of a wood that loses a lot of water as it dries out would therefore weigh a lot less than one tonne.

So the weight of one cubic metre of wood will vary considerably depending on the type of wood, how dry it is (and, if in logs, how tightly it's packed). There's also the fact that weight, rather than volume, has got a lot more to do with how long wood will burn.

I'm sure that's not helped a lot -- but I hope it's interesting?

John Russell

Lads, I'm trying to calculate potential profit from standing timber. You've all just rewritten this thread: http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/firewood-forum/23122-why-not-sell-cube-wood-novel-idea.html

:001_tt2:

The thought had crossed my mind as i was reading the comments. lol

Im probably not gonna help ya cause either.

You can sell it in the m3 format if you like but i would suggest all the potential customers will want it in the cord format. Just like we dont measure tractors power in KW, its measured in Hp - its instilled in people!

If i were you i wouldn't worry to much about measuring standing cord wood. I promise you will sell it what ever, the demand is as high as its ever been if i may be so bold. Your better off spending that time getting stuck into knocking trees over. As long as its on a reasonable site, not a first thin and your compitent enough you should make money.

Then use this experience as your gauge for the future.

Remember if its larger diameter Beech of Ash for example hold out and dont be knocked down. Conversly, twisted Oak limbs will be less resireable (air space, processing etc).

Oh and if your stacking it yourself dont take to much time and effort in a neat stack. Air is your friend in this instance - just like selling hay by the bail!

hope this is of some use