I need some help here guys and girls, youll like the returns!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

People on here think i am a poor money manager, but i am not!:001_tt2:

at the close of 2003 i was homeless, broke and had my business stolen away, i was left with 54 thousand in debts, and looking for a mortgage.

I now have nothing of the 54k to pay, and 80k in equity!:thumbup:

Fair Play, mans deserves a treat after that!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an impressive story on this thread. Someone of your enthusiasm and stamina is bound to succeed at whatever they turn their mind to. I wish there more around like you.

This is coming from someone who started their own business in 1975 and has never been an employee since.

I look forward to seeing the 'scope pics!

Best wishes,

John Russell

This bad boy is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY out of my legue! at a cool 60+K!

This on the other hand is THEIR recomendation, does all i need and more:thumbup1: is within budget with options going from 15K-35K:lol:

thats a lot of dough I know, but you boys would do that on a chipper, or a truck without any questions, its all relevent, and at least the pikies wouldnt know what to do with it!:lol:

16-bit Resolution Microscope VHX-1000 Series - Digital Microscope Resource Center

[ATTACH]53486[/ATTACH]

I am a research scientist for my 'real' job when not mucking around with firewood / trees and spend a lot of time using top end (£250k +) imaging kit.

Most such equipment is too pricy for any one lab to justify (or use to its full capacity) and so these microscopes are generally pooled in 'microscopy facilities' that you can sign up to and pay by the hour to use. That way there is someone that runs and looks after the kit, keeps it in top notch shape and knows what they are doing if the users have any questions.

Costs vary, but you could get a lot of microscope time for the kind of cash you are looking at and would also have the support and guidance you WILL need to get the best out of it.

Personally, if I were you I would try and make a contact at my local University Biology / Botany department and make an appointment to speak to someone there and see if you can get access to their microscopy facility.

They'll probably insist you get trained and may need to be chaperoned at first, but once you have established that you are not some time wasting muppet you should be in !

Good luck !

FG

Comments all appreciated.

scope time is not really going to be a goer for me, i need this late in the day, as and when ive got time and sample.

im going to produce works not discimilar to Shwarzes volumes, wood/decay and mycological imaging, and with a depth of field that cant be rivalled by traditional optical scopes, with no slicing and dicing required!

I am a very able guy, i will learn hands on very very quickly if i am left to my own devices with a few pointers to get me going!

Comments all appreciated.

scope time is not really going to be a goer for me, i need this late in the day, as and when ive got time and sample.

im going to produce works not discimilar to Shwarzes volumes, wood/decay and mycological imaging, and with a depth of field that cant be rivalled by traditional optical scopes, with no slicing and dicing required!

I am a very able guy, i will learn hands on very very quickly if i am left to my own devices with a few pointers to get me going!

Its absolutely up to you and I appreciate that having your own toy is always more fun than having to share with someone else :001_cool:

Obviously different places work differently - but our microscopy facility here in Sheffield is accessible 24/7 - indeed, its cheeper overnight.

Either way - have fun and good luck.

FG

I am a research scientist for my 'real' job when not mucking around with firewood / trees and spend a lot of time using top end (£250k +) imaging kit.

Most such equipment is too pricy for any one lab to justify (or use to its full capacity) and so these microscopes are generally pooled in 'microscopy facilities' that you can sign up to and pay by the hour to use. That way there is someone that runs and looks after the kit, keeps it in top notch shape and knows what they are doing if the users have any questions.

Costs vary, but you could get a lot of microscope time for the kind of cash you are looking at and would also have the support and guidance you WILL need to get the best out of it.

Personally, if I were you I would try and make a contact at my local University Biology / Botany department and make an appointment to speak to someone there and see if you can get access to their microscopy facility.

They'll probably insist you get trained and may need to be chaperoned at first, but once you have established that you are not some time wasting muppet you should be in !

Good luck !

FG

Im actualy starting to warm to this idea, might be a good way to familiarise myself with technique and learn from others too:thumbup1:

On a few occasions, for film-making, I've needed shots from electron microscopes. I don't know what the cost of that kit is (probably runs in to the £100s of thousands) but I've called up Nottingham University and been able to hire the equipment with operator. Can't remember the costs but it wasn't overly excessive. I'm sure if you can get friendly with a professor in the discipline that interests you, you should be able to get access without too much difficulty.

On a few occasions, for film-making, I've needed shots from electron microscopes. I don't know what the cost of that kit is (probably runs in to the £100s of thousands) but I've called up Nottingham University and been able to hire the equipment with operator. Can't remember the costs but it wasn't overly excessive. I'm sure if you can get friendly with a professor in the discipline that interests you, you should be able to get access without too much difficulty.

thanks for the input john:001_cool:

im definatley going to do some investigating, i think i have a few contacts already, well worth looking into in the short term me thinks.:001_smile: