Fire rope seal

Lancstree

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the vision 500 with smokeless baffle (if that makes any odds)

Yes - just put a new door rope seal on my Clearview Vision 500 10 minutes ago and yes the door does have a slight curvature from left to right - it matches the curvature of the stove body. Is that what you noticed on yours?

My door rope had worn/got damaged in the top LHS and with just a 50mm section not sealing you couldn't choke it down enough to slow the burn right down. I'll let you know tomorrow if that sorts it. I have a big 750 clearview in the other room. Got to say they are excellent stoves. Got the first one about 8 years ago.:thumbup:

I think with the smokeless baffle you are restricted to how much you can damp it down anyway. At the min I'm getting a good control on the burn with nice clear glass and if I turn the door handle as far as it will go there is a small section in the top middle section of the door that doesn't seal. i.e. I can slide paper down it. Gareth have you ever adjusted the door on the hinged end?

Got some further information from clearview. This is the reply:

'Both the body and the door are slightly curved, in part due to the way that the stoves are made, but also because we prefer the look. When the stoves leave the factory the rope seal is tight all the way around the door. Gradually this rope seal will compress over time and this seal will need retesting and tightening up. This is done by adjusting both the door hinge blocks and if necessary the door handle. It is important not to over tighten as this may prematurely flatten the rope. It is possible to keep this seal good all the way round, however should you find it difficult to set the door then it is more acceptable to have a gap around the top then down the sides and front. With a new stove it will be possible to set the door so that the rope seal is good all the way round.'

I guess now its time to get the door adjusted slightly. The question is do you think I should get the supplier or fitter to do it and show me properly how its done or just do it myself carefully?

Edited by Lancstree
missed a bit

I think with the smokeless baffle you are restricted to how much you can damp it down anyway. At the min I'm getting a good control on the burn with nice clear glass and if I turn the door handle as far as it will go there is a small section in the top middle section of the door that doesn't seal. i.e. I can slide paper down it. Gareth have you ever adjusted the door on the hinged end?

Hi Lancstree

No didn't have to adjust the door hinge end, but probably have turned the door handle to tighten it. The new rope seal is perfect, we can choke the fire right down again. A couple oak logs on this morning at around 10am and the fire was still toastie at 2.30pm. Until the rope was fixed last night it was firing through the logs with no way of slowing them down. The rope seal kit from Clearview was easy enough to fit. The black sealant is a bit messy and the rope had contracted a bit in its packing which meant when I was about 2" from making a full loop I'd runn out of rope. Just needed to stretch it out a little to make is complete the loop.

I wouldn't worry about getting a fitter out to make any adjustments, its a straightforward enough operation. Took about 10minutes after midnight last night before I hit the sheets so it would be sorted for the morning - although Clearview tell me it sealant can be used while the fire is warm, its easier to let the fire cool.