c30/31 funding

Moonie

Some collages will give you free education for an ND / NC and depending on your background you may be elligable for a paid busarie (i dont think that is spelled right) which can cover you accomadation costs and food, you can then also apply for hardship grants as well as try and get a bit of work experience pocket money. If you live away from home and have worked before you will have no diificulty in getting the grant, if not then it depends on your folks income - i got onto a 2 year ND - when i was 21, been working since i was 16 left home at 18. I got the whole deal food accom, an ND and 5 Nptcs out of it, as well as a hardship fund of about 700 over 2 years, ontop of that i was earning from 40 - 100 a week working - and when i tell people this they all call me a jammy sod and they are right! - I will reccomend getting a jobas groundy if you can - it will give you a taste for the work, because it isnt for everyone. It will also look good if you apply to a collage. Or if you want to keep ewarning you may be able to get tickets through your work, though you will probably have to sign an agreement to stay working for a period of time e.g 1 year after which you'll get your next ticket etc. I worked down in oxford for a souple of years - if you got transport try Jenks Oxford, they are good with their training - in two years i got my cs 40/41 chapter 8 supervisor, arboriculture and bats IPAF MEWP and first aid refresher - though i would say - if you can get in a decent ND course where you are staying in halls go for that coz its a blast! especialy as most collages doing arb are agricultural collages and often have equine course and that means Horsey Girls :)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being on the dole, even for over 6months, made no difference to funding for me. They just wont pay for cs30/31.

However, if you can stick over 6months on the dole, they will fund the 9-10 week course, which will get you cs30/31/39 and possibly 32 and 38

Being a groundie isnt seen by the dole office as being a career move or worthwhile job it seems!! :001_rolleyes:

i met a jammy sod who got all their PADI Qualifications up to Instructor through the dole but this was many moons ago - i also complained because the dartmoor ranger job was only open to people who had been unemployed for 6 months - i'd be on the dole for 2 weeks so it meant i couldn't apply

• 4 weeks later...

Im having simlar issues in sunny south wales contacted lantra which in england they fund to train up women arborist in wales nothing im looking at currentley paying the cost for my cs30/31 and to be honest would lovce to know where i can get funsing from i jhave spoken to several organisations my local collages do not do full time nd or similar only part time forestery nvq i would have to travel miles to get somewhere every day to do a full time course plus i have two little ones so would need childcare wich im not sure i would get if i was not employed i am on income support at the moment and the dole will not pay anything towards me stepping onto the arborist ladder which to be honest sucks i really do want to go into this line of work and so far have found nothing apart from stumbling blocks and cost .

i need to find somebody who is willing to employ me but obviously i need my tickets so i can get my insurance etc there is very little info through careers wales as to how i need to start and as somebody genuinly wanting a job and not being a dole bum i would of thought somebody out there would of been willing to help but apparently not.

I recommend you try lantra depending on where you are based and there is also places like focus on forestery first which will pay 75% of training costs as long as you have a job that is willing to take you on after you finish the tickets which is one of the ways i think i will have to try and go down to cut costs my situation slightly different from yours as i have two children to work around and have to sort childcare so probabley not as employable as some would like but to be honest i want the experience and to learn as i go along so even if im able to join somebody for a day a week i would be happy .good luck with it anyway

Ahh, well I've never signed on before and can't really wait half a year for the funding.

I hadn't considered college courses before, but I looked at an ad on here for a ten week one in Suffolk and it looks like a pretty good idea to me. Now to find one close to me!

Anyone know of any good colleges or anything around Oxfordshire/Northamptonshire? I'm in Banbury but don't mind travelling.

moulton collage is in northampton, i am also 18 and im doing an arb apprentiship there

That's the one I was just told about :)

Thing is I'm not sure how far the funding for it will extend. I was kind of hoping that they did an intensive 10/12/whatever week course, but it's all individual tickets, which I don't think I will get funding for from the govt.

My ideal setup would be something like the proclimber 6 week course with a few tickets, but that's £5k which is about £4,995 out of my budget:lol:

mate the 10 week intesive coarse you are on about isnt funded by the goverment and you have to be 19.. im in the same prediciment and the only way round it is a 1-2 year nd coarse

If your too young to do the course and want to keep cost down i would google grants for your area and see if anything is available after my post earlier i done a search and its given me another route to go down for funding via a grant for people in this area who want a career change so im on the blower first thing tomorrow lol fingers crossed

If your too young to do the course and want to keep cost down i would google grants for your area and see if anything is available after my post earlier i done a search and its given me another route to go down for funding via a grant for people in this area who want a career change so im on the blower first thing tomorrow lol fingers crossed

sash

where are you in south wales and what did you find :thumbup1:

Hi Im just outside newport the grant is not directly linked to the industry it is run by the local am assembley member for newport west and is actually targetting women who want a career change (yes im a woman )i came across an old article in the argus about the grant so looked further into this newport womens forum and it sounds like it may be of some help ,as i mentioned above i spoke to a lady at fff and was told they provide 75% of the funding towards training if you are directly linked to the tree forestery its worth giving them a ring and speaking to them direct but i think i may be able to get some funding for myself if the am scheme is still up and running but i will not know until tomorrow when i ring to find out but worth a try,but if you search enough there must be other grants out there and if i hear of anything else will post it on here to help some of the others out as im discovering you really have to do some ground work to find out where to get what,the closest to me that does a full time course lantra told me was bridgend which is too far for me in my situation as would have to fork out childcare and travel costs when my income is pretty low at the moment would work out cheaper to save and do tickets locally with the week course.anyway hope this helps :)

Hi Im just outside newport the grant is not directly linked to the industry it is run by the local am assembley member for newport west and is actually targetting women who want a career change (yes im a woman )i came across an old article in the argus about the grant so looked further into this newport womens forum and it sounds like it may be of some help ,as i mentioned above i spoke to a lady at fff and was told they provide 75% of the funding towards training if you are directly linked to the tree forestery its worth giving them a ring and speaking to them direct but i think i may be able to get some funding for myself if the am scheme is still up and running but i will not know until tomorrow when i ring to find out but worth a try,but if you search enough there must be other grants out there and if i hear of anything else will post it on here to help some of the others out as im discovering you really have to do some ground work to find out where to get what,the closest to me that does a full time course lantra told me was bridgend which is too far for me in my situation as would have to fork out childcare and travel costs when my income is pretty low at the moment would work out cheaper to save and do tickets locally with the week course.anyway hope this helps :)

yes with a name like sasha,i dont know any boys called sasha [did know a male tracy?]

when they say bridgend,do they mean pencoed collage[very expensive]

you want to look at nptc site under training providers,and fined local trainers!

when i took 30/31 it was in the vale of glamorgan[trainer hywel rees] from the vale,very good trainer with good prices:thumbup:

when i took 38/39 proclimber [west wales]outstanding quality and service and again good prices

best of luck,i hope you get some help.

martyn

Thanks martyn the lady i spoke to at lantra mentioned somthing about private trainers and said if i had no luck with anything to get back to them.Yes i think your right its called pencoed i done a pet microchipping course there about 6 years ago so only ever been there once but they are lanbased studies similar to how usk used to be,usk stopped doing most of those type of courses unfortunatly :(.

thanks it would be good to have some help but i have a feeling it may be tough to start but i will get there someway somehow lol