Its all gone a bit quiet

evergreen

Hi Guys

were a relatively new company in the arb world.

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on the tree front.

Our landscape gardening side is v busy apart from the frozen ground slowing us down a bit.

Im not sure if im quoting a bit high on jobs, we seem to convert about 2 in every 10 enquiries. But dont get many enquiries in the first place. I have tried postcards in shops, local newsletters and regional papers but getting very few hits.

Ive got a really keen ticketed lad who I want to keep busy and hope he doesnt lose interest.

Any one else got any ideas how we can find more work?

Cheers Nick

You have to bear in mind that everyones mind is on more serious matters, how they're getting through the snow, how they're going to pay for Xmas pressies, how they're going to meet the bills and so on. So the last thing on their minds is whether or not to have that tree trimmed right now. It'll pick up in the new year....eventually.:001_smile:

Viral marketing (word of mouth) is the ultimate place to be. It takes a few years but, if you are consistently good (in practice and value for money) once it starts you can almost forget about advertising.

Our diary is full until April but the majority of these bookings were planned and entered from early summer onwards. Don't loose heart - its just a rubbish time of year for finding work.

I hope things improve for you in the new year - good luck.

Thanks Andy, thought that might be the case. In retrospect i remember when I first started landscape gardening the first few winters were tough. Now we seem to have built up a good reputation and have landscape work booked even in the leaner times.

Thanks for the re assurance. Cheers Nick

Hi Guys

Our landscape gardening side is v busy apart from the frozen ground slowing us down a bit.

Im not sure if im quoting a bit high on jobs, we seem to convert about 2 in every 10 enquiries. But dont get many enquiries in the first place. I have tried postcards in shops, local newsletters and regional papers but getting very few hits.

Ive got a really keen ticketed lad who I want to keep busy and hope he doesnt lose interest.

Cheers Nick

You also have to think of adapting what skills you have.

Set up in log sales for next season.

Buy in timber if you have to.

Kept me busy from Dec - Feb this year and am now close to selling out of firewood.

Things go up and down in this game. Have heart, those that don't give up will win.........eventually!

Hi Guys

Cheers Nick

we are all in the same boat this time of year mate. work start pickin up againg proply about april.. i am self employed n work for a few companies around here and there all quite

I'm in same boat mate, only been going 6 months and work has now dried up. A friend of mine recently gave me some excellent advice. He said no matter what get up on every day you should be working and do something for the business, treat it as a working day. even if that means cleaning the van or bit of studying etc.

On days i dont work i go out climbing, and ive just got a contact where i do free tree work now and again when it suits me and i get to dump all my chip and keep as many logs as i want amongst other benefits.Next year my logs will be all seasoned ready to keep me busy.

Have a wander and introduce yourself to all the local people in the know!! Farmers, landowners estate agents etc Dish out business cards it will work wonders mate!

Good luck

Dave

Same song here,

Been on my own for 18 months, i was flat out until xmas then nothing at all until march.

I kept busy trying my hand at carving mushrooms and an easter island head. They sat in the garden until the summer then i sold them all at an anglo french market.

Its a bit different this year now the customer base is up, i have 2weeks of training at the start of January then some more carving ready for the mad rush in late spring for pretty garden ornaments.

It keeps your mind and body active.

Chin up

Shep