Business expansion in 2011

Raywood

I've been trading for 7 years, one man job, with help hire in when stretched, started from scratch, basic knowledge of gardening and grounds maintenance and I have hit a rut.

Have a great set of regular maintenance customers (domestics, churches, country estate) and thoughout the seaon I would get three or four large planting jobs and the odd lawn to sow out.

I am just at the point where some of the maintenace jobs are beginning to get too repetitive, and when I go through my accounts :scared1: these maintenance jobs are just not paying me enough money to make it worth while.

So folks, from your experience, what would you recommend or advise I do to diversify or find a niche so that I can build on the business, but not specificaly in the maintenance area.

Was thinking of specializing in turfing and sowing of lawns. Anyone else do this type of work and does if return you a fair amount of profit?

Currently studying for a HNC in Garden Design at the local tech one day a week.

Any replies greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Andrew T.

Been at it about the same amount of time now mate and I feel your pain, we have had a really poor year this time round and next year looks even tougher, one of our main earners have upgraded all the contracts, meaning a huge layout in new machinery (which we can't stand )and the specs are watertight in there favour meaning extra this, that and the other.

As a rule,we have found Grounds Maintenance to be a hard nut to crack, we are too small for the really big jobs and the smaller jobs mainly dont pay to well, So we are gonna cherry pick a few good local paying sites and do away with any bad payers or ball aches, plus lose the above mentioned contracts.

We increased the number of Deck installations over the year and expect this to rise next year to take up the shortfall.

Good luck and if I can be of any help just ask.

hi, yup ive been at that point as well 7 years in and things have grown but im in the same situation where the money earned isnt really doing me justice, ive moved in to woodland management and im producing charcoal, firewood and coppice products to use in my gardens i landscape so things are starting to tie in but i have had to plough a lot more time and effort in to bring the new things im doing up to speed with the landscaping side, as a one man band it's hard both on cashflow and time but im hoping it will come good and with the weather like this it should! thing is is having the foresight to prep for the winter during the summer and that means not landscaping to chop logs etc when i should be doing patios ect......its tough, how are you getting on?

Cheers Lads for the replies. By the sounds of it I'm am not alone in having a '7 year itch'. Am still busy with work and have projects lined up to carry me though to the middle of January.

My main desire is to grow the business, and specialize in one or two areas and become known for that. Its just deciding which area(s) to concentrate on, and if these areas are worth while pursuing.

Still toying with going down the turfing and seeding of lawns route.

hi, we've ben trtading for almost 9 years, and i had a 'moment' earlier this year. We are trying to promote our timber buildings (bespoke offices, play huts, play areas, chicken sheds etc) so that we can work year round and sometimes inside!! I still find it very hard to say no to those silly little non earners or clients that mess you around year after year... but you have to be tough and run with something new otherwise you will be one of those old miiddle aged moaners... best piece of advice i can give one man banders is don't be!! EMPLOY SOMEONE!! you then have to make things work, get out of bed, push the prices etc etc then you have someone to have a laugh with/ blame during the day....;-) alex ps lots of firms round here just doing lawn maintenance and new lawns???

hi, we've ben trtading for almost 9 years, and i had a 'moment' earlier this year. We are trying to promote our timber buildings (bespoke offices, play huts, play areas, chicken sheds etc) so that we can work year round and sometimes inside!! I still find it very hard to say no to those silly little non earners or clients that mess you around year after year... but you have to be tough and run with something new otherwise you will be one of those old miiddle aged moaners... best piece of advice i can give one man banders is don't be!! EMPLOY SOMEONE!! you then have to make things work, get out of bed, push the prices etc etc then you have someone to have a laugh with/ blame during the day....;-) alex ps lots of firms round here just doing lawn maintenance and new lawns???

When did you become me then ?:laugh1:

Spookily similar to what we are doing at this exact minute that, In fact I'm just off to the solicitors to sign for our new worksop, where we are going to make Sheds, play huts etc etc, Idea is to have somewhere to work over the winter and......

... best piece of advice i can give one man banders is don't be!! EMPLOY SOMEONE!! you then have to make things work, get out of bed, push the prices etc etc then you have someone to have a laugh with/ blame during the day....;-) alex ps lots of firms round here just doing lawn maintenance and new lawns???

Echo that

employ someone who won't accept variable hours too much- will force you to ...get on with it

I've been going though the same thing every year for 11 years now!!

you've got to employ some one because there is only so much you can do yourself, I spent the 1st 3 years working flat out bank hols and until 9 oclock at night in the summer etc.

Final had enough and employed some SHOULD OF DONE IT SOONER!!

We make more money have a laugh and it makes those rubbish jobs go by faster.

Personally I wouldn't specialize in one thing because for me its boring and its normally seasonal grass cutting summer trees in winter, if i had to rely on tree work in the summer i would have no work.

Same with turfing spring and then autumn.

I also have a glitch every year normally when things are a bit slow.

I may of rambled on a bit

Steve

:thumbup:There is no way in this industry to earn much more than everybody else unless you can provide total quality and persuade your customers to pay more for your services.

Unless you have no friends and family and are willing to work 24/7, you will find it hard. More to the point- would you want to?

The problem in Arb and Horticulture is that you will always compete against the guys who are working at a loss!

We have been told to put our prices up by our accountant just to keep a living wage, been trading for 11 years. We have some customers who always come back regardless of charges but new work is hard to find, because we always compete against guys who are cheaper but will be around for three years untill their lenders call time on their capital purchases.

Good luck, quality is everything.