new fungi is killing american bats

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

A new fungus has been discovered in the States that is killing hundreds of thousands of bats, particulary the little browns ( myotis lucifugus) whos hibernation preferences are also ideal for the fungi known as Geomyces destructans.

It has also been found in europe but does not seem to result in the symptoms that are killing the bats populations of america.

They are calling it WNS (white nose syndrone) as it results in a white patchy growth on the noses of the bats. This is a massive issue for the bats who appear to be woken by the the irritating infection where they lose fat reserves from a break in thier hibernation cycle, valuable fat needed to survive the winter, that they cant replace.

bad fungi, bad:thumbdown:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Thanks for posting that pick up david, perfect illustration.

take it youve heard of it too?

I was reading it in national geographic today

Caught the news off our resident Bat handler earlier this year.

Haven't had an update recently on the euro position.

Maybe Andy could update if he catches this thread.

thats really not cool!

pretty long term huge bat fan myself. would love the opportunity to become a handler and work with the amazing little critters but for one thing i wouldnt know where to start! Am I to assume that there is someone who would be able to point me in the right direction here on Arbtalk?

Tony, is that £15 the standard price for NG? is that an electronic version rather than a print version? Always been the go to publication for me in waiting rooms, but never got around to subscribing