Got myself a good deal on a ms260c

minnnt

Searching gumtree the other day i came across a used 260c. It looked in pretty good nick, so i gave it a go. Took a 150 mile round trip to get it, but worth it non the less.

It needed a new elastostart handle as it had been chewed by his dogs, and needed a new chain as there was probably only 5-10% left. The bar was fine, but replaced both with a 16 inch oregon bar and a couple of archers chains. So about £48 on top of what i paid. The saw itself was £150 which i thought was really good seeing as they're going for a bomb on eBay! So i'm in it for £200 which is still cheap compared to eBay. Gave it a bit of a clean up aswell and then went to work with it. It is lightning fast! really impressed with its' ability! It seems to be quicker than my 346, no idea because it shouldn't be but hey, i'm not complaining!

Before:

2601.jpg

260.jpg

After:

IMAG0259.jpg

IMAG0258.jpg

lol, the before ones are of it at the other persons house. :001_tt2:

It runs like a dream, seems to rev faster than my 346, but is a bit heavier and don't seem as well made tbh, feels a bit plasticky compared to the husky.

As for the side monted quick tensioner, no idea. It's the first saw i have had with it on. It doesn't really bother me, i actually quite like it if i'm honest, although i probably wouldn't buy one new with it on. :001_rolleyes:

Can't fault the saw, idles, runs and operated perfectly! Fires after 2 or 3 pulls and revs its t1ts off!! :thumbup::lol:

Yeah, i thought it seemed weird when i saw it, but it's a nice feature. Could always replace with a oem side plate if i wanted, but i'm not that bothered. If the 357 works out then i will probably ebay it i reckon and get a bit of money back on it... Would like a 361 but can't justify spending 400-500 on one... :001_huh:

Hi tere I love the 260 it sounds like a good deal I would of had myself but one thing that would of stopped me in my tracks

My first saw came with the easy chain tensioner it was the worst bit on the saw . Inside there is a black dile with litte teeth these ware really quickly and then you cannot tension the saw chain any more as soon as its starts the tension goes .

you can replace the dile but it will do it again and again unless they have changed the design the teeth as they are only a mil or 2 to bite. so only a tiny bit of ware and its game over and you cannot tighen . there is a way to repace it to a standard set up but its expensive and not worth it overall .

I hope your new saw is good and this does not happen to you . but my recomondations for anyone thinking of buying either new or second hand is never buy one with an easy quick tensions they are ok for a hobby saw thats not used much and not put under any work load .

All the best

Littletree:001_smile:

Good point little tree, never occured to me! The saw is a 2006 model and the teeth seem fine on the interior cog that runs the quick tensioner feature. If the 357 works out then this would probably be up for sale anyway... or at least thats what i have told the wife... :lol::thumbup::001_tt2: