Eucalyptus blamed for Subsidence

Snowgoose

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No longer relevant in law, as even with a phased reduction the tree will extract the same amount of water as before the reduction, plus all living things die, you couldn't protect from heave, say if honey fungus struck and killed the tree, or it was hit by lightning.

When talking shrubs, I mean large laurels etc, even ivy and other climbers have caused subsidence, there was a case study where a row of trees were saved as it was proved beyond reasonable doubt, that it was shrubbery that caused the subsidence and not nearby trees

Thanks for elaborating on the shrub thing lee, that makes sense.

Tree biology next. I would have thought that a reduced tree with less foliage would remove less water by evapotranspiration.

And does your comment on tree law mean that we are immune from claims arising from the removal of trees on clay soils causing heave?

All with due respect, I know you know what your'e talking about:001_smile:

Thanks for elaborating on the shrub thing lee, that makes sense.

Tree biology next. I would have thought that a reduced tree with less foliage would remove less water by evapotranspiration.

And does your comment on tree law mean that we are immune from claims arising from the removal of trees on clay soils causing heave?

All with due respect, I know you know what your'e talking about:001_smile:

I only put into practice what others far more experienced, experts in the field tell me. A reduced tree will use the same amount of water the next season,so this rules out supposedly all phased reductions and has for 10 years I know of. I think Mattheck did the research into this.

As for heave from soil expansion, this is a very very rare occurrence. The fact the tree was planted in the wrong place generally, and a problem with future subsidence is highly probable, would stand you in good stead if found in front of a judge, all I know is, most if not all consultants deal with the impending threat ie the tree rather than concerns about heave, to tell the truth I have wondered what might happen legally speaking if heave did occur, I think industry practice would save your ass TBH

The genus is big, granted, but the majority planted over here are eucalyptus gunnii

Interesting Cider gums are often not considered the best of the genus in many ways (two forms btw gunnii ~ a tree up to 25m tall... and archeri ~ generally considered to have poor straggly form almost mallee)

I wonder if its popularity over there is related to the use of its leaves in floriculture?

Cider gums are endemic to Tasmania on the plains and central highlands...the overall distribution is in the cold humid to wet climatic zone...sort of sounds like some parts of the UK?

It is frost tolerant and grows in altitudes where severe frosts and snow fall are numerous (good thing given your current weather!:001_cool:)

In its natural range mean annual rainfall is between 800 - 2800mm per year so each of you can decide weather that is relevant or not based on what you believe is driving and influencing evapotranspiration:sneaky2:.

Check out the HORT link have to say about reductions and subsidence:

For practical soil moisture conservation, severe crown-reduction 70-90% of crown volume would have to be applied. Reduction of up to 50% crown volume is not consistently effective for decreasing soil drying.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/downloads/pdfs/Subjects/Arboriculture%20-%20NYTOG/NWTOG07/HortLink%20Project%20Final%20Report%20(2004).pdf

Interesting Cider gums are often not considered the best of the genus in many ways (two forms btw gunnii ~ a tree up to 25m tall... and archeri ~ generally considered to have poor straggly form almost mallee)

I wonder if its popularity over there is related to the use of its leaves in floriculture?

Cider gums are endemic to Tasmania on the plains and central highlands...the overall distribution is in the cold humid to wet climatic zone...sort of sounds like some parts of the UK?

It is frost tolerant and grows in altitudes where severe frosts and snow fall are numerous (good thing given your current weather!:001_cool:)

In its natural range mean annual rainfall is between 800 - 2800mm per year so each of you can decide weather that is relevant or not based on what you believe is driving and influencing evapotranspiration:sneaky2:.

Thats spot on sean, you know your onions that much is clear. i prefer the snow gum myself, a flipping stunner at kew

For practical soil moisture conservation, severe crown-reduction 70-90% of crown volume would have to be applied. Reduction of up to 50% crown volume is not consistently effective for decreasing soil drying.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/downloads/pdfs/Subjects/Arboriculture%20-%20NYTOG/NWTOG07/HortLink%20Project%20Final%20Report%20(2004).pdf

That is a steamingly good link, what a fine bit of research. Its even influenced the new British Standard and made a lot of people including the AA sit up and take notice.

I haven't had time to fully study it but the bit you quoted does seem to be the important bit. If you reduce by less than this the leaf area is recovered after one or two growing seasons depending on species. It also backs up what Lee was saying.

I avoid mature trees on clay soils near buildings anyway, but will read this properly when I've got a bit more time.

Thanks for posting:thumbup1:

I have always thought that the eucs shallow rooting nature within the U.K (so many are leaners) is due to their lack of need to throw down deep roots here......

I have noted the same thing.Typically the result of storm events, so higher than average winds but importantly, often associate this with very wet soils ( FC +) Shear failure of roots.....

Thanks Sean for provenance detail as I has suspected anatomical "adaptations" to climate and endaphic factors responsible....Not very likely!

Good link!

Tim

Edited by Bundle 2