Fine art- a window into the past of our veteran trees

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How true a dipiction are these paintings however....?

I'm no expert on constable or Elms for that matter but this was a subject brought up by Oliver Rackham in his seminal work 'woodlands'.

A painting of Salisbury cathedral by constable is questioned as thus by Rackham.....

'The spire is framed by two magnificent leafy elms, not the english elm the common species around salisbury but East Anglian elms. Were they a real outlier of east Anglian Elm or were they imported from an East Anglian themed sketch book?'

1813-salisbury-cathedral-from-the-bishop-john-constable.jpg.436b99dd04ff7c4279e4d2efb8a8a270.jpg

Another painting by Gainsborough has also been proven to involve quite a bit of artistic license......

Rackham went in search of this wood looking at old maps.......to no avail.

Rackham....

' I could not reconcile the woodland with any of the woodlands known in contemporary maps. The trees though beautifully detailed are barely identifiable. The scene lacks infrastructure, coppice stools, banks and ditches bordering the lane etc.'

'Susan Foister has show that it is derived in detail from a landscape by Ruisdael. A picture that has appeared on the cover of a book about English woodland is thus of a foreign wood'.

Food for thought:sneaky2:

Gainsborough_Cornard_Wood_1746-7.jpg.562ccbc26f93f155ded7be393640a24d.jpg

The art may be pretty special but unfortunately, most was paid for by the church and wealthy landed gentry, at least, this is where you should look for its historical premis and promotion....No surprise then that those whom paid the piper felt they could also dictate the tune that perhaps best served their needs...!

I think this best explains the "idiosyncrasies" and anomalies. That dosen't mean to say that there isnt a great deal to be learnt from the images of the era.

Not a great fan myself. I say post away with the modern and pop art..if it's relevant. Sorry Tony. Just me twopenth!

Another painting by Gainsborough has also been proven to involve quite a bit of artistic license......

Rackham went in search of this wood looking at old maps.......to no avail.

Rackham....

' I could not reconcile the woodland with any of the woodlands known in contemporary maps. The trees though beautifully detailed are barely identifiable. The scene lacks infrastructure, coppice stools, banks and ditches bordering the lane etc.'

'Susan Foister has show that it is derived in detail from a landscape by Ruisdael. A picture that has appeared on the cover of a book about English woodland is thus of a foreign wood'.

Food for thought:sneaky2:

I think Rackam may be trying to say that every wood in britain at this time would have displayed such features! this woodland looks very english, and very natural, hardly posed or imagined i think maybe judging by the man clearing some deadwood from an obvious fallen tree this area is only just begining to be "worked"

whereas the open area behind and to the left of the viewer appears to be open and may have been rough pasture.

I think we need to remember that many artists of the time painted to please their commissioners rather than depict a true to life scene or portrait.

In common with many, Gainsborough, I'm sure, would have worked from sketch books and have been influenced by works of other artists. You end up with an idylic scene or a portrait of 'The Mrs' you prefer to real life. Early Photoshop:001_smile: