PA1 and PA6

trialscot

Hi,

My son has booked courses for PA1 and PA6 in a couple of weeks.

I did my PA1 in 2003 but I know it's now done by GOLA. Are the questions still much the same, and is the question list available anywhere like the driving theory test?.

For our PA6 as far as I remember the instruction and assessment were pretty much combined and the main thing was to do the swath width, flow rate, time to walk 100m etc, then fill out the form to work out dilution rate. Is it still like that?.

only done pa1 pad 6 is next week the questoins are not avaliable before hand they dont release them but the instructor should go through some practice questoins before hand they differ but he will get the idea on the day.

The questions are easy but you realy have to read them as they change one word and it changes the whole question and answer but its pretty easy

Hi i done pa1 and pa6 in august of this year pa1 is fairly straight forward, the pa6 is all about measurements,swath,etc (calibration) and you are given 5% over or under on the measured area-also need correct ppe equipment.

If you need any info just give me a shout would be glad to help

Many thanks for all the info and encouragement.

We're over on the west coast of scotland and he has a 240 mile round trip to do to Brechin in angus on the east.

Because of the distance, they're doing the PA1 course/assessment one day then the PA6 course/assessment one day the following week.

Two day assessment! You should easily be able to do both in a day - it only takes a couple of hours to show you can read a label and calibrate the knapsack properly. Is the examiner milking it or what?

Things I was told to remember: read course material several times, learn by heart the different nozzles their use etc. Fill in the calibration form carefully (message me if you need a blank form) as a decimal point in the wrong place can lead to mistakes. As with all the land based exams "they are not trying to catch you out" so think methodically and you will be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Many thanks for all the info and encouragement.

We're over on the west coast of scotland and he has a 240 mile round trip to do to Brechin in angus on the east.

Because of the distance, they're doing the PA1 course/assessment one day then the PA6 course/assessment one day the following week.

Wow! That's quite a short training period for a qualification that allows you to apply herbicides/pesticides and that is a mandatory legal requirement. There is a tendency to train people to get the qualification not how to be spray operators. Having said that different candidates have different levels of experience and knowledge. Its not about trainers milking it, it's often about training people how to be efficient and effective spray operatives that can save money long term by carrying out their work with an increased level of accuracy etc etc.

As an employer I would prefer my staff to get a a few hours extra training and save me hundreds long term.

Wow! That's quite a short training period for a qualification that allows you to apply herbicides/pesticides and that is a mandatory legal requirement. There is a tendency to train people to get the qualification not how to be spray operators. Having said that different candidates have different levels of experience and knowledge. Its not about trainers milking it, it's often about training people how to be efficient and effective spray operatives that can save money long term by carrying out their work with an increased level of accuracy etc etc.

As an employer I would prefer my staff to get a a few hours extra training and save me hundreds long term.

:thumbup1: Indeed

Having passed my pa6 back in november It was a struggle with 2 full days plus a seperate day for 2 hour assessment but it apparantley all used to be done one day for pa6 and not sure how compulsory it is to do it as a 2 day training course:confused1:

:thumbup1: Indeed

Having passed my pa6 back in november It was a struggle with 2 full days plus a seperate day for 2 hour assessment but it apparantley all used to be done one day for pa6 and not sure how compulsory it is to do it as a 2 day training course:confused1:

I don't think there is a mandatory length for the training. I know most seem to fire through it in a day for each unit. I have spoken with some trainers and some NPTC assessors/verifiers on this. They all agree, two days for the PA6a makes all the different and when you come to assess these candidates the information is much easy to gain from them and their level of understanding of the subject generally better. I should declare a slight interest here as I am a NPTC assessor for PA's - but I don't carry out the training side normally so I have nothing to be gained on that front before someone jumps in a suggests I have a vested interest.

:001_smile: