shakles smakles?

elicokiz

Just been looking for a shackle to attach to our drum winch and was told by a senior member of staff that I could not use his serial numbered LOLER checked shackles for pulling loads. Apparently this would destroy their lifting capacity and thus make their LOLER certification void resulting in him throwing the shackle away:001_huh:. Im assuming that this was just his way of messing up my day:confused1:or am I missing something??

Dave(not happy)

Edited by elicokiz

why not just get a shackle for winching purposes, they arent that dear? Or if the job requires the winch and shackle, surely it wuld be foolish not to use the shackle from the Lolered kit, then retire it for winching purposes only and replace it. The forces put on a shackle when winching will probably be greater than those in a rigging situation.

He's right, if its loler tested for liftign and lowering then it can't be used for anything else, and if it was it would fail its loler test.

Like, a climbing rope is tested and deemed safe for climbing, then you use it to pull a truck out of the mud with a tractor, this is not what it is designed for and would render it no unusable for climbing because you don't know of the forces it was subjected to.

He's right, but basically he just doesn't want you to use his shackle!!

There is nothign wrong with down grading kit, so his shackle could become a winch shackle and an old climbong rope can become a "pulling truck out of mud" rope, as long as neither then goes back into normal service.

Was it your shackel?

If it was someone else, I guess its up to them what its used for.

After a while, having workmates messing your kit up just dosen't seem quite so funny.

Couldnt agree more, someone had nicked the shackle off the winch in the first place so they could carryout their own job with scant regard to mine. I work for a large organisation where each dept should support the other..we have a large stock of shackles used for lifting and couldnt see why pulling forces would overload or make LOLER certification void?

Dave:thumbup1:

He's right, if its loler tested for liftign and lowering then it can't be used for anything else, and if it was it would fail its loler test.

Like, a climbing rope is tested and deemed safe for climbing, then you use it to pull a truck out of the mud with a tractor, this is not what it is designed for and would render it no unusable for climbing because you don't know of the forces it was subjected to.

He's right, but basically he just doesn't want you to use his shackle!!

There is nothign wrong with down grading kit, so his shackle could become a winch shackle and an old climbong rope can become a "pulling truck out of mud" rope, as long as neither then goes back into normal service.

Cheers Rupe, Makes me rather ashamed that I thought I was being totally fobed off, but on the positive side makes me feel a bit more friendly towards my colleauge..also shows how usefull this forum is when trying to clear up issues:thumbup:

Dave

Should have told him that you require a loler tested shackle so that when it breaks and somebody gets injured at least you can prove you thought of health and safety rather than just picking up any old shackle knowing that it will probably break because it has not been tested. Shackles do break and people get injured every year from wire ropes recoiling out of control.