processor and operative for hire

Chris Gagen

just had an idea that may require shooting down in flames...:confused1:

many tree surgeons sell firewood right? how would you guys feel about paying someone to process your timber into logs? thinking that charging per cube would be the most sensible way to do it, obviously dependant on what size you want logs cut/split to. measured by using vented log bags, so all you need to do is load up and go when you get an order

i don't have the most advanced equipment (japa 700 and my home made splitter, ((see avatar)),) so i suppose am only thinking reasonably small jobs, <100 metres for example, and obviously pretty local. worth a thought?

first thing that springs to mind is that not everybody is going to have a loader/hiab etc to load the bags with:001_unsure:

entrepreneur mind working tonight...:001_tongue:

looking forward to reading your damning thoughts...:001_smile:

so you want to process the logs, but not be involved in the selling/ marketing aspect?

sounds good. i guess it would be suitable for tree surgeons who dont own / have access to a yard/ processing equipment.

that splitter looks interesting mate!

you've got the idea chris, i process around 100 cube myself, willow in bulk and hardwood in nets for farmshops.

spltter built just a year ago, has dealt with 20 cube of iron oak and not grumbled, doesnt know it's doing the willow:thumbup1:

i'd like to do a lot more firewood, but that would mean buying in timber on top of what i already have and i just have the access for artics to my yard:thumbdown:

Interesting ! I am am also thinking of doing something along similar lines. But the way i was thinking of doing it, is with a small compact tractor and spliter on the back, that way i could take it to the customer and process the timber where it is stored / felled. i too wouldnt know what to charge. Its an idea i've had for ages, not got the equipment yet, just toying with the idea, and what set up to go for. Personally i'd prefer to charge either 1/2 day or full day rates.

there's some interesting comments on the related threads at the bottom of the page.

id been thinking bout 2 operators, 1 on processor and the other with chainsaw and splitter, both run off the same tractor of course.

im thinking a fixed charge covers up to so many cube, thus covering the transport and set up costs, then x or y amount per cube thereafter dependant on log size required, so obviously less for 18" logs and more for 9"

• 6 months later...