Oak and Mulch?

scotspine1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mulch reigns supreme...bollox all that fertilisation,decompaction, vertical mulching ( had a few beers I should warn you !).....Mulch is the way forward.......Im looking at this for parkland trees with historic livestock issues.

Compost tea anyone?

Tim.

Until recently i would have said this was a perfect mulch bed, and applauded any responsible.

Now im not about to suggest otherwise, for this is indeed a beautiful thing to see, but....

I am now of the thinking that rather than take the mulch out to the drip line keeping int within a metre from the dripline edge so that a metre wide strip is allowed around the permiter of canopy/drip line. Why?

Because you get the best of both mycorhizeas, some prefer the mulch layers, with thier heavy organic content, others prefer the grass, Boletes IMO are the super mycos for oak and these benifit from a lightly mown sword, with mowing sensitivley around fruit time but not being allowed to grow so long that the fruit bodies have dissapeared from sight!

I would say that the old expression "too much of a good thing" or "all things in moderation" apply well here, lets not get too transfixed on recreating the woodlan environment without considering the benifits of the other habitat scenarios, the wooded pasture, each have thier own organisms, why not have both?

Until recently i would have said this was a perfect mulch bed, and applauded any responsible.

Now im not about to suggest otherwise, for this is indeed a beautiful thing to see, but....

I am now of the thinking that rather than take the mulch out to the drip line keeping int within a metre from the dripline edge so that a metre wide strip is allowed around the permiter of canopy/drip line. Why?

Because you get the best of both mycorhizeas, some prefer the mulch layers, with thier heavy organic content, others prefer the grass, Boletes IMO are the super mycos for oak and these benifit from a lightly mown sword, with mowing sensitivley around fruit time but not being allowed to grow so long that the fruit bodies have dissapeared from sight!

I would say that the old expression "too much of a good thing" or "all things in moderation" apply well here, lets not get too transfixed on recreating the woodlan environment without considering the benifits of the other habitat scenarios, the wooded pasture, each have thier own organisms, why not have both?

Good post.

"I would say that the old expression "too much of a good thing" or "all things in moderation" apply well here, lets not get too transfixed on recreating the woodlan environment without considering the benifits of the other habitat scenarios, the wooded pasture, each have thier own organisms, why not have both?.."

A good point. Oak is historically an open grown lover! Exact right habitat....:thumbup1:

Decompaction...Id say it depends on the method. Terravent? No..it picks it up and slams it right back down again....this will only further compact the problem...:001_smile:

Stop blowing the leaves away.

well, rather blow them onto the mulch bed!

Good post.

A good point. Oak is historically an open grown lover! Exact right habitat....:thumbup1:

Decompaction...Id say it depends on the method. Terravent? No..it picks it up and slams it right back down again....this will only further compact the problem...:001_smile:

terravent is overlooked because of this, it DOES open pore space, and done with the right technique, does break it up more than many would CHOOSE to believe. come see me do it next time, I used to think the same as you, but having personal experience and hands on, I am keen on it:001_cool:

This is the reason that Tony Kirkham stopped using it at Kew I believe.

Well thats his call to make, i will make up my own mind as to the merits and de merits of a technique through my own research and findings as always.

like most things it is a tool, it requires technique, and most importantly it needs to be applied to situations that suit it rather than as a "cover-all" There are times when the airspade is not the best tool, there will be times when the terravent is the better choice, and in those situations, it comes into its own.

Its why Rhizoecology use both:thumbup1: