Degree by research- HELP!

Yes, in many ways, you are correct the system is relatively set in stone. But it suits the majority I guess.

I think you are extremely ambititous in you plans, but I dont mean this as a criticism, more envy.

So is the eventual outcome of your research going to be a change in conservation policy?

I think a man of your commitment and knowledge should be involved in research at some level. I recently found an online tool called CabDirect and The Web of Knowledge. I have used it to accurately track down journal literature on specific subjects. I think these would really help you in putting together a Research Proposal, associated literature review and rationale.

Keep us informed of how you get on, but if it all takes off be prepared to have your life taken over by your research!

Doug

Thanks doug, thats a usefull piece of info, as for the preparation for giving my life over to the project.....

Im already there, given up all kinds of things in order to persue this goal, including women and fishing! why I am about to take on tennants in my home so im even giving up my privacy in order to fund things further!

You guys are a great help, and have given me some very good avenues to persue, and it has been duly noted as has the encouragment without a single patronising or condescending remark in this thread my fears where unfounded.

It is an ambitious plan, but I have the tenacity of a pitbull.

I am weak in certain areas but my library grows as does my knowledge, and im working on closing all the gaps, there is nothing i want more than to be lost in a woodland somewhere conserving habitat and protecting Fungi and bio diversity in general as a result.

I cant tell you how much I love this side of arboriculture, I work so hard to know the forest and its fungi, sometimes when i finaly track down the fruit of a theory and complete an assumption... well a couple of times realising the truth of my theory has brought me to tears. That may sound a little over dramatic but I LOVE what i do, when I can do THIS and make it my daily work, I will be lost in the woods and the only time youll hear a peep from me will be once every five years as i put another paper out!:001_cool:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a plan! See you in 5 years then.

P.s. I would never patronise your ambition. I applaud it.

I still have that underlying insecurity that im getting ideas above my station though!:laugh1:

ive NEVER been an academic sort, hate authority and ive missed all that mid level info thats so important, hence the gaps. But im working on it, ive got my eyes on a new book in arbazon, 125 quid and its just about wood structure!:lol:

are there any good reference books on academic writing? ive seen a few on the PHD subject, but i would like to also read up on methods and information gathering techniques etc, what makes a robust research project that kind of thing.

Ive had to drop the degree so ive got to grind out my education another way you see.

I am sure there is miles of paper written about academic writing. Not all of it will apply to your field of research though.

I was always told to read read read read endless papers and reports to get a grip of the scientific language which is appropriate for your style of reporting.

Also, its worth getting to grips with some Statistical Analysis. I am sure this will have to form a large part of presenting your data.

Doug

I am sure there is miles of paper written about academic writing. Not all of it will apply to your field of research though.

I was always told to read read read read endless papers and reports to get a grip of the scientific language which is appropriate for your style of reporting.

Also, its worth getting to grips with some Statistical Analysis. I am sure this will have to form a large part of presenting your data.

Doug

yes your right, thats where I will need MOST learning, statistics and analysis as well as presentation of those, and what statistics will be relevant! lol

i shall add some statistical analysis books to the list!:thumbup1:

I also wanna be writing in a style that "other people" will get!

Sometimes i think the scientific fraternity" deliberatley exclude anyone outside of their realm by making thier work as far out of reach to others as possible!

Its a nightmare trying to grind out latest thinking on a subject.

You have the wrong end of the stick. Its not exclusion, its being very very concise and succinct. Therefore it doesnt read well for those not interested in the subject.

You have to do this or your papers will end up being like War and Peace.

Also very rarely do people read a whole paper, probably only sections or even just the abstract.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has accses to any of these papers please assist, I will owe you!

References & Credits

Ainsworth, A.M. (2004). Developing tools for assessing fungal interest in habitats 1: beech woodland saprotrophs. English Nature Research Report 597. English Nature, Peterborough.

Ainsworth, A.M. (2004). BAP fungi handbook. English Nature Research Report 600. English Nature, Peterborough.

Ainsworth, A.M. (2005). Identifying important sites for beech deadwood fungi. Field Mycology 6: 41 – 61.

Boddy, L. & Wald, P.M. (2003). Creolophus (= Hericium) cirrhatus, Hericium erinaceus and H. coralloides in England. English Nature Research Report 492. English Nature, Peterborough.

Boddy, L., Wald, P.M., Parfitt, D. & Rogers, H.J. (2004). Preliminary ecological investigation of four wood-inhabiting fungi of conservation concern – oak polypore Piptoporus quercinus (= Buglossoporus pulvinus) and the tooth fungi Hericium/Creolophus spp. English Nature Research Report 616. English Nature, Peterborough.

Borges, C. & Rotheroe, M. (2002). Managing land with fungi in mind. Enact Magazine (English Nature) 10: 17 – 22.

Dahlberg, A. & Croneborg, H. (2003). 33 threatened fungi in Europe (T- PVS (2001) 34 rev. 2). Swedish EPA & ECCF, Uppsala.

Hansen, L. & Knudsen, H. (eds) (1997). Nordic Macromycetes 3. Nordsvamp., Copenhagen.

Ing, B. (1992). A provisional Red Data List of British fungi. Mycologist 6: 124 – 128.

Pegler, D. (2003). Useful fungi of the world: the monkey head fungus. Mycologist 17: 120 – 121.

Pegler, D., Roberts, P.J. & Spooner, B.M. (1997). British Chanterelles and Tooth Fungi. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

Stalpers, J.A. (1996). The Aphyllophoraceous fungi II: keys to the species of Hericiales. Studies in Mycology 40: 1 – 185.