Degree by research- HELP!

O.k, i wanna do a unique piece of research, funded myself if needs be, but the thing is, how does one go about gaining the credit, I.e if I do the research how does one go about gaining the degree for the effort?

And if i dont gain a degree because its not feasable without paying some uni 10k plus, would it still be of similar value on my CV?:confused1:

I doubt funding will be avaliable, but will try through the AA, The BMS and the JNCC

my quest/research-

"translocation and conservation of Hericium erinaceus"

Im certain I have a viable method, i now have the sites, the fungi and all I need now is some contacts in a lab a couple of scopes and a 5d!:thumbup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could do it as part of an online degree. It's a two year course.

I think the online tech cert was about £600 or £700 - I imagaine this would be double? It'd certainly be a lot less than 10 grand.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=course-search&action=factsheet&reference=10BSARBMYO01P&query=&html-title=BSc%20(Hons)%20Arboriculture%20On-Line%20Final%20Year%20Direct%20Entry

You could do it as part of an online degree. It's a two year course.

I think the online tech cert was about £600 or £700 - I imagaine this would be double? It'd certainly be a lot less than 10 grand.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/?page=course-search&action=factsheet&reference=10BSARBMYO01P&query=&html-title=BSc%20(Hons)%20Arboriculture%20On-Line%20Final%20Year%20Direct%20Entry

No Giles i dont think i can do it that way, and an FDSC is 1400 a year, then theres the Bhc, Msc and then degree by research AKA the PHD, an abbreviation I am affraid to use as it sounds like.... well like i fancy myself!:lol:

i shall email a few PHD dudes and see if anyone can oversee the research, ive got a few in mind but this is going to be a long shot, it has to be overseen and mentored by established researchers PHD's understanderbly.

I cant go it totaly alone for one thing the Species is protected under section 8 of the wildlife act, and a uk.BAP priority species, as are all hericiums and the oak polypore to name but a few. I would ask natural england but me thinks like other inquiries to them im better off not even asking them.:thumbdown:

I shall do my emails to the JNCC and a few PHD's and see what realisticly i am looking at, this HAS to be doable.:001_huh:

Give the British Museum of Natural History a ring or better still Birkbeck college - they might let you register for a Masters or Ph.D. without breaking the bank. What you really need is a decent supervisor. Difficult to advise on this (it is 30 years since I did my Ph.D.). You can pick up decent 'scopes easily (look for Russian optics/ex school) - try eBay. Watkins and Doncaster are good for slides/coverslips etc.

The other alternative to registering for a degree is to publish your findings and submit a bunch of inter-related papers as a thesis. They can't argue with that (its what I did) and is indeed the proof of the pudding.

Give the British Museum of Natural History a ring or better still Birkbeck college - they might let you register for a Masters or Ph.D. without breaking the bank. What you really need is a decent supervisor. Difficult to advise on this (it is 30 years since I did my Ph.D.). You can pick up decent 'scopes easily (look for Russian optics/ex school) - try eBay. Watkins and Doncaster are good for slides/coverslips etc.

The other alternative to registering for a degree is to publish your findings and submit a bunch of inter-related papers as a thesis. They can't argue with that (its what I did) and is indeed the proof of the pudding.

What do you mean by an inter related bunch of papers, does this mean other researches ive done along the same lines to reiterate and further confirm the research?

mmm... I guess you'd be less of a dryad and more of a Dr Yad.

I like it!:001_cool:

Hama,

Why dont your approach Forest Research with your ideas? I think the most you can gain here is the credit of producing/inputting to research papers. Which is a very credible thing to accomplish.

In order to gain credit for your degree, you will still need to gain this through an acreditting institution I believe, unfortunately they do require some sort of funding/payment in order to facilitate your learning.

Doing the research project is only one bit of gaining your BSc. The idea is also that you achieve credit for a wider range of learning through modular subjects.

Hama,

Why dont your approach Forest Research with your ideas? I think the most you can gain here is the credit of producing/inputting to research papers. Which is a very credible thing to accomplish.

In order to gain credit for your degree, you will still need to gain this through an acreditting institution I believe, unfortunately they do require some sort of funding/payment in order to facilitate your learning.

Doing the research project is only one bit of gaining your BSc. The idea is also that you achieve credit for a wider range of learning through modular subjects.

Thanks for that, got a few more places to try now!

at what stage in the academic proscess do YOU start to take the lead in dictating your learning?

I need to be in control of what I learn and my progression and direction, rather than wasting resources and time i dont have re learning over old ground.

Is that what Msc is?

Its not about covering old ground Hamadryad. Whatever your degree subject, you will learn something in every part of it.

If you opted for a BSc Honours degree. Your Honours project is part of your final year. However, there would be plenty of opportunity to direct your own learning, but by applying the skills and knowledge you pick up in lectures.

In reality, it is always a case of YOU taking charge of the application of the teachings in the form of assignments, presentations and exams.

Hamadryad, you are an ideal Open University/distance learning student. If you contact the intsitute of your choice they would be able to advise on funding streams. What about your employer? Perhaps they could contribute to tuition fees in return for you professional development?

Tony

Have you tried contacting Avice Hall over at the University of Hertfordshire. It's not a million milies from you, she may be able to help or point you in the right direction as she is the admissions tutor for postgrad studies (use to do undergrad at one point i think). Avice deals with plant diseases and epidemics, microbial ecology and she does lots of fungi forrays around the unis field station and publishes research too. You might be able to contribute to something she is doing maybe?

[email protected]

might be of help, can't help to ask.

Andy