Degree by research- HELP!

Tony

Have you tried contacting Avice Hall over at the University of Hertfordshire. It's not a million milies from you, she may be able to help or point you in the right direction as she is the admissions tutor for postgrad studies (use to do undergrad at one point i think). Avice deals with plant diseases and epidemics, microbial ecology and she does lots of fungi forrays around the unis field station and publishes research too. You might be able to contribute to something she is doing maybe?

[email protected]

might be of help, can't help to ask.

Andy

:001_cool: you little star! what a link!

I owe you one:thumbup1:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hama, this is an unbelievable contact. Hopefully this is the start of what you are striving for.

If you are serious about going down this route, you will make the finances work, whatever it takes.

Doug

I have recently found somone to be tenant, even allowing for the much renovations to be done here, he is a plasterer and willing to work with me for a cheap rent! once were done cleaning up, i can rent the third room and be in a more stable position financialy, this will enable me to fund a scope etc and work towards the rest while gathering data, and chasing funding and accredation avenues. i still have much to learn from the writing for journals and data recording side of things but at least now, i know where and how i will get to my ultimate goal, to contribute NEW science and drive forward arb-mycology:001_cool:

I have recently found somone to be tenant, even allowing for the much renovations to be done here, he is a plasterer and willing to work with me for a cheap rent! once were done cleaning up, i can rent the third room and be in a more stable position financialy, this will enable me to fund a scope etc and work towards the rest while gathering data, and chasing funding and accredation avenues. i still have much to learn from the writing for journals and data recording side of things but at least now, i know where and how i will get to my ultimate goal, to contribute NEW science and drive forward arb-mycology:001_cool:

I have no doubts you´ll succed on your quest Hama! I will probably meet a few Uni ppl in a couple of weeks, I´ll talk to them about you and see if there is any intrest in a foreign, distance student...:sneaky2: The industri needs ppl like yourself Mr H!

If you think you can complete the necessary to achieve a PHD then go for it. But I think you would really benefit from achieving the research and data analysis skills you gain from a BSc / MSc.

I recently saw a PHD advertised studying Phytophora ramorum in Larch. It was through Edinburgh uni. Full time - 3 years with £13500 a year funding.

Not sure how you go about being awarded a PHD for your own studies.

Have you searched for current PHD research programmes on offer?

Doug

Doug, thats the problem, funding comes with dictations in direction, there is currently NOTHING to be won for the conservation of fungi which at this time is no existant, this is going to be a long haul for me no doubt, if i have to i will fund all the kit myself, beg borrow steal and eat soup, and pray that my research is accepted.

We have sites reserved for thier deadwood and fungi, but we have no specific legislation nor even any serious guidlines for not only conservation or preservation but actualy increasing a stock of a wild fungi under threat...... well now thats unheard of!

I have no doubts you´ll succed on your quest Hama! I will probably meet a few Uni ppl in a couple of weeks, I´ll talk to them about you and see if there is any intrest in a foreign, distance student...:sneaky2: The industri needs ppl like yourself Mr H!

If sweden will give me the oporunities i crave im there, its time i started to broaden my horizons, old blighty is set in stone, and way too old school.:001_smile:

Yes, in many ways, you are correct the system is relatively set in stone. But it suits the majority I guess.

I think you are extremely ambititous in you plans, but I dont mean this as a criticism, more envy.

So is the eventual outcome of your research going to be a change in conservation policy?

I think a man of your commitment and knowledge should be involved in research at some level. I recently found an online tool called CabDirect and The Web of Knowledge. I have used it to accurately track down journal literature on specific subjects. I think these would really help you in putting together a Research Proposal, associated literature review and rationale.

Keep us informed of how you get on, but if it all takes off be prepared to have your life taken over by your research!

Doug