whats good and what bad with your log splitters

33bk

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My preference for arb arising’s make the table as big as you can manage to cope with big rings. Idealy a double handed interlock but failing that make the operating lever send the ram down when you push the lever upwards, that way if you fall forward into the machine (pulling the handle down) you will send the blade up rather than down, thus avoiding amputating your other hand in the process.

Andy

Agree with the big table part - one thing that none of the mainstream manufacturers do but would be good to see.

Unfortunately the double handed thing is the Law - sell them one handed at your peril. To meet CE standards, the definition for the design of the two handed part states somethign like it shouldn't be possible to convert to one hand operation using simple hand tools. HSE shut down a stand at one show as they were demoing their machines one handed and telling customers how to convert them. I don't necessarily agree with it but hey ho.

I think good speed is as important as good pressure - no point being able to split big stuff if it takes ages to cycle.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

dont thelogs on the horizontal splitters fall off ?

see in this pic you can see the log holder type thing has fallen off but logs dont fall off while splitting

Have a blade that is a + shape so you can quarter logs rather than just half them. Ideally the blades can be interchanged as the + wont be suitable for all logs.

I prefer horizontal splitters too, just seem easier to use to me.

yeah thats what ours has, an interchangable cross and straight, it works well :001_smile:

DSC00266.jpg.c6c93ba71799bca5cbb47c6eaf909361.jpg