Anonymous posting?

arb culture

If you have nothing to hide, and take pride in what you do, then be yourself.

if your a big shot and want to contribute without people badgering you, remain anonymous.

iether way its not against forum rules, and should be personal choice, i also think its wrong for people who get a bit rowdy with one another to reveal eachothers identities as some kind of cheap shot, maybe its just me but i think that reflects poorly on the individual/s.

As for me, little old Tony croft AKA the hamadryad, well my name is more to do with my personal beliefs and attachments to nature than being some kind of secret, im not affraid to speak my mind, be that face to face or here on the information superhighway, and a splendid tool it is, just look at the interactions within this site.

Arbtalk is becoming a beast, and its potential as a platform will not go unoticed, certain there will be in the future many more anonymous posters, let them be so. i doubt we will ever see the end of petty scores and arguments, but if we use this site sensibly, treat everyone as a profesional well maybe we will see more consultants etc joining in and giving us the benifit of thier knowledge and experience:001_cool:

well I can hope!:thumbup:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also think its wrong for people who get a bit rowdy with one another to reveal eachothers identities as some kind of cheap shot, maybe its just me but i think that reflects poorly on the individual/s.

Tony

What you say makes some sense, but surely you are not suggesting that it is reasonable for one person to publicly critisise the work of another without offering any justification for that critisism. That is what happened on this forum isn't it? How people perceive my work is important to me and I gain a great deal from the views and opinions of others, particularly where they are well reasoned. James made comments about QTRA that were neither well reasoned nor accurate and one seemed to me to be a just too close to the bone.

I had no interest in his identity until he added unfounded critisism to his persistent carping and I haven't actually revealed him to this forum.

I hope that I can make a more positive contribution in the future.

Mike Ellison

Tony

What you say makes some sense, but surely you are not suggesting that it is reasonable for one person to publicly critisise the work of another without offering any justification for that critisism. That is what happened on this forum isn't it? How people perceive my work is important to me and I gain a great deal from the views and opinions of others, particularly where they are well reasoned. James made comments about QTRA that were neither well reasoned nor accurate and one seemed to me to be a just too close to the bone.

I had no interest in his identity until he added unfounded critisism to his persistent carping and I haven't actually revealed him to this forum.

I hope that I can make a more positive contribution in the future.

Mike Ellison

I dont think i know which thread or partook in it, i think you must be talking of a thread I remember being called QTRA V something or other.

I am keen to learn about QTRA, in the interests of being a more informed person, as it is always good to be familiar with ALL the options. I am glad to see your open to discussing it with us, i will pick your brains at some stage, theres a few things about it i dont understand as yet.

In my own experiences of it I have been in quite a lot of disagreement over the values and judgments made with it by one very high profile user who im not naming. Suffice to say the values and assesments on the whole did not match with my own instincts about these things, but as with all these systems, it really is most likely the fault of the user rather than the system, i hope you can prove that to me at some stage.:thumbup1:

I intend to train and qualify in all the recognised assesment methods over the coming years, its the only sure way to have a good sense of what options are avaliable to my clients and to know which one REALY is worth keeping on board, as well as maybe in the future refining methods so that they do ACTUALY work for those that have not as much field experience. After all that is where these things fail, but are supposed to assist.

I would say most people dont fear other members in any way but why would you put your personal details on the web. A fraudster will be looking for a profile to build why make it easy ?. It amazes me the amount of ebay names made up of their name and date of birth. Why dont they just use their address and pin no in their about me page.

Why would a fraudster scour the Internet forums on the basis that a user name may or may not be in fact a real name. Why not just use the telephone book or the electoral register both of which hold accurate data.

IMO Using your real name on a forum is not leaving you open to being being hacked any more than someone saying your first name and surname in a pub.

Que a million nigerians hacking into my bank account now :001_smile:

Why would a fraudster scour the Internet forums on the basis that a user name may or may not be in fact a real name. Why not just use the telephone book or the electoral register both of which hold accurate data.

IMO Using your real name on a forum is not leaving you open to being being hacked any more than someone saying your first name and surname in a pub.

Que a million nigerians hacking into my bank account now :001_smile:

Both those sources dont give you gender or occupation and a wealth of other snipetts we unwittingly let out in our posts all joined together to the right people very useful.

I dont think i know which thread or partook in it, i think you must be talking of a thread I remember being called QTRA V something or other.

I am keen to learn about QTRA, in the interests of being a more informed person, as it is always good to be familiar with ALL the options. I am glad to see your open to discussing it with us, i will pick your brains at some stage, theres a few things about it i dont understand as yet.

In my own experiences of it I have been in quite a lot of disagreement over the values and judgments made with it by one very high profile user who im not naming. Suffice to say the values and assesments on the whole did not match with my own instincts about these things, but as with all these systems, it really is most likely the fault of the user rather than the system, i hope you can prove that to me at some stage.:thumbup1:

I intend to train and qualify in all the recognised assesment methods over the coming years, its the only sure way to have a good sense of what options are avaliable to my clients and to know which one REALY is worth keeping on board, as well as maybe in the future refining methods so that they do ACTUALY work for those that have not as much field experience. After all that is where these things fail, but are supposed to assist.

Tony

Here are two threads. There are others. Can you see any credible specific critisism in there because I can't? Looking at your response of 16-09-10, it seems that his opinion, unqualified as it is, carries some weight on this forum, so you will perhaps see why I have picked up on his persistent carping. This is his opportunity to either put up or shut up where QTRA is concerned. As I have already said, I don't have a problem with openly debating the subject, but this is neither open nor a debate.

Mike

Thread – Tree Report

16-09-10, 10:19 AM

And don't get me started on quantifying risks. There is so much nonesense in our industry on this subject that it's embarassing.

---------

16-09-10, 06:19 PM Hamadryad

<I couldnt agree more with that statement, but what can WE do about it? worth a thread?I >

---------

16-09-10, 06:24 PM

doubt it, but you're welcome to try

---------

16-09-10, 06:36 PM Hamadryad

<If YOU doubt it, I see little point, theres a limited number prepiared to engage in such subjects and if one of the key few says waste of time, then it probably is!>

---------

16-09-10, 06:57 PM

The reason I think it's probably a waste of time is that the QTRA brigade will step in with their usual guff based on very limited training and an even more limited understanding of probability maths and how it should feed into a risk assessment.

Eventually the discussion will end in the usual, 'go and do training in QTRA' or, 'there have been significant changes which only license holders can be know about', or someone will pop up and start getting personally abusive. None of which gets us anywhere.

I long ago decided to leave the deluded and mis-educated risk quantifiers to get on with it. I suspect that one day one of them will end up in court and have a truely awful time - I just feel sad that the peddlers of this snake oil have been allowed to get away with it for so long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread – QTRA Registered?

30-09-10, 02:07 PM

I think QTRA is not good, and I know several people who have done the training who found it very disappointing. Apparently the guy who does the training admits that he doesn't even understand the maths behind the system he is teaching - very worrying.

Consider how much the training costs, and what other training you could do instead. If you haven't done it already, the LANTRA Professional Tree inspection course is usually taken as evidence of competence. The QTRA training is NOT evidence that you can inspect a tree (and from the reports I've seen, it's not even evidence that you understand QTRA).

As to whether or not it's worth doing, ask your potential clients. At the end of the day, if one of my clients wanted me to do QTRA surveys, I'd get the training and do it. But my report would include some heavy conditions in it stating that I don't recommend the system.

-----------------

04-10-10, 11:38 AM

If someone's just spent several hundred pounds buying the right to use a system, it is not then in their interests to say it's not a good system.

I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but it's important to be wary of bias

-----------------

11-10-10, 12:37 PM

You are right my comments were not a critique, just opinions. However, they are the well educated opinions of someone with over 15 years of experience in arb based on an unbiased assessment of the many tree surveys that I have seen, made after discussion with lots of people (many of who have done your training), and also after reading many of the background papers on the subject.

They are also the honest opinions of someone who has no financial interest in the validity (or otherwise) of QTRA.

At the moment I'm not really interested in a debate on the minutae of your system. I would have enjoyed a debate of this kind a few years ago, but since then I've heavily researched QTRA (among various other systems) and I honestly believe it to be very poor indeed. If others feel otherwise they are free to do so - it is no concern of mine.

Why are you so reluctant to discuss QTRA with someone anonymous?

-------------

11-10-10, 01:19 PM

I wasn't aware that I was being provocative in my question about anonymity.

It's probably an issue for a seperate thread, but this was a genuine question, I don't understand why there is a reluctance to discuss an issue (any issue) with someone just because they wish to remain anonymous.

By the way, I don't know what silly nonesense has plagued other threads, but if you know of a good reason for not allowing anonymity then let us know. It might be time for Arbtalk to change forum rules